Here’s a hike I would like to do.

Longjohn

This is what my Airline Bike Trail looked like before the hurricane of 38.

Image result for trestle on the airline trail

This is what it looks like today.

Image result for trestle on the airline trail

It's still more than 130 feet down but I guess it's a bit safer now.  I don't like heights so it still freaks me out.  If I meet horses or larger groups of people I have to dismount and walk the rest of the way because my brain can't handle getting back on the bike.  It's a thousand feet across.

• Heart 1

I don;t get it maxx.  They didn't fill in the whole valley did they?  I don;t see any drop-offs in that picture, nor can I find any story on what the 1938 hurricane did to the viaduct.

This reminds me of the Kinzua Viaduct in north central PA that a tornado wiped out most of it but you can still walk oot on the remaining piece and get a good dose of heights.

So trees grew up on the side partially masking the fall-off?

Colchester+2014-04-13+185+(1).jpg

• Awesome 1

It's very much like yours.  The Army Corps of Engineers brought in large blocks and filled in the former viaduct area.    The sides are visually a bit steeper than your pic above and trees have started to grow near the ends.  The pic I grabbed off the internet is from roughly the middle looking west which is the uphill end as the viaduct slopes slightly.  Here's a video riding in the opposite direction.  Those washouts really freak out my brain.  The most obvious drop is to the right or the downhill side of the valley.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

That bridge looks so rotted, I don't think I would go on it.

I kayak under this abandoned tressle all summer. The tressle is steel and concrete but some of the ties are rotted away. There is no walkway, you have to step on the ties. I don’t follow directions well.D240A00E-9178-449F-AF64-DFE28EC7E8E4.thumb.jpeg.ce3ad76ca87998173fa7d20ca543c66d.jpeg

80AAF468-1493-464D-B859-7AF099B5E297.jpeg

4144E37F-98AD-49C5-A3A3-D67F5CAC56E9.jpeg

77340C7F-4798-498A-ACB0-944C338C829B.jpeg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I road over a bridge in the swampy areas around here that was quite scary.  It was after Sandy, I think, and I can;t remember if the rode was closed or not.  I should go back there.  I seldom head toward the Delaware River but there are lots of fun areas out that way.  There is one dike you can ride on that has great views.  There used to be the most isolated little park ever there, but I think they closed it.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That is pretty cool!  Yeah, I would think nature would abhor that pyramid of fill.

Every time they fill the washouts they come back.......even after bridging them with old rails and more fill.  One year they were almost half way across the trail and my brain refused.  Nope......nope, not going past that.  There was still like 4' of trail but the visual impact on my head was just too much.

Part way across there is a trail where some of our brave mountain bikers go down the side.  I don't believe that there is any stopping once committed to that path.

At the east end of the viaduct is a parking lot where a street crosses the trail.....Bull Run.....That street is an E ticket ride as it s curves down the hill around switchbacks.  Going up I want to be like DH......in a truck with the bike in the back.