self-check out machines when buying stuff

shootingstar

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/self-checkout-grocery-retail-survey-1.4926545    

yea, this topic came up a few wks. ago in this forum.

I've used self checkout machines less than 5 times.  It's not worth waiting in long line.  People doing it themselves aren't faster.  Makes sense if all of us in line are having to buy only 1-8 items.  I agree with parent with very young child. 

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

If a line is too long, I often just put my basket on the ground and walk out with a crappy demeanor.  I do this at pharmacies primarily, there is always another pharmacy in NYC.

I used to wind up doing that half the time I went to KMart, but I stopped because it was hurting me worse than it was them, since the next store is usually far away and I hate shopping.  Man, I hated KMart!  Their registers would ALWAYS come to screeching halt and the whole line would go into suspended animation while we waited for a manager.

At the grocery store I usually opt for the self checkout if there are no lines or if I have a small order.  They have it down pretty well.  I hardly ever have a problem, and if I do there is a person there to help oot usually immediately and they usually get it resolved quickly.

Our LGS doesn't have self checkout but I'm not adverse to self check out at Home Depot or Target.  I guess it depends what and how much you have.  I tried to self check out with some produce once at Target and it was a PITA as you had to scroll through several options to select the right item as there are no barcodes on a tomato..

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Our LGS doesn't have self checkout but I'm not adverse to self check out at Home Depot or Target.  I guess it depends what and how much you have.  I tried to self check out with some produce once at Target and it was a PITA as you had to scroll through several options to select the right item as there are no barcodes on a tomato..

that's when i pick the lowest cost produce & hit enter...allegedly :dontknow:

Sometimes at HD there is no cashiers and only self check out. With one person covering 4 or 6 checkouts. This is typically early in the am when i am in a hurry. 

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I rarely ever use them.  I prefer to work with a person.  

I was standing in line with a few items to checkout when one of the store employees pointed out that the self checkouts are open. 

My response was I don't work here so why would I want to do that. 

1 hour ago, jdc2000 said:

I never use them.  I am not being paid by the store to work for them, and I am not getting a discount either.  Most do not take my preferred forms of payment either.

The linked article indicated that perhaps more people would use self-checkout if they got a discount (however minor) for doing it themselves.  Or use self-check out and have points pile up on a card for a discount later.