So maybe will die in best way

shootingstar

Yesterday we just heard a long-time lead cycling advocate in Vancouver is on life support.  He was cycling in the evening from a transit meeting related to planning.  Somehow something happened where a pedestrian found him lying with his bike by a grassy area.  He had a heart attack and CPR didn't help.  There is no activity in his brain.  So it looks real bad.

He speaks to the local press on cycling matters ..and infrastructure for the past 20 yrs.  Dearie does know him well. His response:  well, if he dies, then this is the best way:  he was cycling and was happy (it was a successful meeting).  He was diagnosed recently for prostate cancer.  The guy is just 3-4 yrs.younger than dearie.  Otherwise in excellent health though dearie noticed in past year, his reflexes seemed to be abit slower.

• Sad 2

57 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Yesterday we just heard a long-time lead cycling advocate in Vancouver is on life support.  He was cycling in the evening from a transit meeting related to planning.  Somehow something happened where a pedestrian found him lying with his bike by a grassy area.  He had a heart attack and CPR didn't help.  There is no activity in his brain.  So it looks real bad.

He speaks to the local press on cycling matters ..and infrastructure for the past 20 yrs.  Dearie does know him well. His response:  well, if he dies, then this is the best way:  he was cycling and was happy (it was a successful meeting).  He was diagnosed recently for prostate cancer.  The guy is just 3-4 yrs.younger than dearie.  Otherwise in excellent health though dearie noticed in past year, his reflexes seemed to be abit slower.

He's one of those guys who has a quiet style.  He seemed to live life well (his retirement was given tremendously volunteer wise on cycling infrastructure matters in Metro Vancouver), went cycling with his wife in Europe last year (he was born in the Netherlands.  His mother did put him on child bike seat in front of her....back in the 1950's), and just told dearie last week of great bald eagle gathering over salmon run in a local area.  

He's the Santa on his bike here back in 2009 or so.

vacc2009.jpg

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

The owner of a bicycle shop near Guelph (I know you know where that is having lived in KW) had a heart attack and died while out riding his bike a few years ago.

As his son says, he would have chosen that as his exit plan given the choice.

Side note, if one day you read that I went in the same way, don't be sad for me.

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

The owner of a bicycle shop near Guelph (I know you know where that is having lived in KW) had a heart attack and died while out riding his bike a few years ago.

As his son says, he would have chosen that as his exit plan given the choice.

Side note, if one day you read that I went in the same way, don't be sad for me.

?‍♀️  This guy also has a son who must be in his 20's by now.  The father on lifesupport (or maybe dead by now) has given and spoken on cycling advocacy matters for Metro Vancouver....past 15 years.  All the cycling volumes is of due to the City ofVancouver investing in cycling infrastructure but to make it happen ….is public support and enormous hrs. of volunteer advocacy, of selling cycling as another viable form of transportation.

A cycling buddy was on a group ride. Told a friend riding with him he wasn’t feeling great and was going to slow down. Told the friend to go ahead. Other guy didn’t feel right about. Turned to see the guy laying in the ditch with blood coming out of his ears. Died instantly. His wife said the same thing. He died doing what he loved. Who could ask for better?

Sorry for your friend, but when I first read that he had been cycling home, my first thought was that he'd been hit by a car.  At least this wasn't a case of a clearly avoidable accident, and he was doing what he loved - cycling and being engaged in his community.

this is a dedication.. There are photos of him cycling in a 2 piece suit also.  https://pricetags.ca/2018/12/02/a-champion-ends-his-ride/

For reasons that I do know, his death makes me think of dearie  because dearie worked with him in several cycling organizations in Vancouver. I didn't realize until last night, I had taken various photos of them together at various cycling events.  The guy who died is on the right.  My partner is on the left. 

Vancouver's mode share of cycling for transportation is now= 10%.  That is high for a North American city. It wasn't like this when we moved to Vancouver from Toronto in 2002.

I have wondered if dearie's children really understand the breadth of what their father has done for cycling also in Toronto and Metro Vancouver. I will give them links soon.  If we could all meet death, doing something that we loved a lot.

jackarno2010.JPG

• Sad 2