So less playing high school foot ball -BC

shootingstar

I never understood the appeal of football or actually any spectator sports. When the schools are whining that they can’t provide basic school supplies because of budget cuts why do they continue with football? If you have to tighten your belt because of lack of funding what does football cost? Lighting for night games? Busses for the team, cheerleaders for away games? 

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I never understood the appeal of football or actually any spectator sports. When the schools are whining that they can’t provide basic school supplies because of budget cuts why do they continue with football? If you have to tighten your belt because of lack of funding what does football cost? Lighting for night games? Busses for the team, cheerleaders for away games? 

I never understood/watched it in high school. I just didn't get it. That's all.

For a spectator sport, I watch hockey. (which has it's own concussion related problems if body checking is allowed).  But then very few high school (never mind elementary school) have hockey teams that play regularily.  An expensive sport too..

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Our town didn't have a football team because of the budget.  An outside organization, "friends of football" came up with the money to start it.  In theory they believe that they are still funding it but in fact it still has a big budget impact on the school.  As you say, there are busses, referees, lights, field maintenance and locker rooms maintenance.  "Friends" is beginning to fall short of the funds they used to volunteer so the cost is expected to rise.  Football is an expensive sport in many ways.

• Heart 1