(*&^&%$##@!!!

Ralphie

19 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We are prepared to replace our truck with a newer used 3/4 ton pickup.  Although, I really want it to be later vs sooner.  

I pet our truck often and tell it "You are a wonderful truck.  Keep going."

I think it was a great decision when I sunk quite a few hundred into the van for coils to keep it going for another year.  That equated to <$100 per month car payments.  What really hurts me is the body and interior are both in absolutely fantastic shape, and you see so many 99-02 ones still on the road but this one has the best body, mainly because it was garage-kept.  So I guess the tax deduction for donation is gone now.  Even so, if there was a charity that gave it to poor people to drive instead of selling it to an auction I would do that in a heartbeat.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Well maintained, garage-kept 2007 from the south, only driven by a medium-sized old man on Sundays? :D

Hardly used.  Like my bikes.

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I think it was a great decision when I sunk quite a few hundred into the van for coils to keep it going for another year.  That equated to <$100 per month car payments.  What really hurts me is the body is absolutely fantastic shape, and you see so many 99-02 ones still on the road but this one has the best body , mainly because it was garage-kept.  So I guess the tax deduction for donation is gone now.  Even so, if there was a charity that gave it to poor people to drive instead of selling it to an auction I would do that in a heartbeat.

We have had problems with our truck the last three years.  Mostly, not bad.  The fuel pump was silly expensive.  It's located under the bed of the truck.  Plus, we had a full tank.   

Last year, our water pump went out.  We will see what is in store this year.  Hopefully, it plays nicely.

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's a wash.  Who's got the better dealership the closest to you?

That is also a wash.  Both have stealerships about 12 miles away.  Honda has one in a more remote area that I always thought might give better deals.  The Mazda one gives lifetime free earl changes which is enticing, but the mechanic who has kept the van going says Mazda has had problems with the rear differentials.  He says Honda.  The Firestone guy says he seldom sees Mazdas but prefers Hondas and Toyotas.  My wife doesn't really like the RAV4, but we haven;t driven one yet.  She says its ratings are not as good, nor is its gas mileage.

Just now, Road Runner said:

I don't know.  I think it is a group that employees handicapped/challenged people.  They fix the cars up and sell them, I think.  The main thing is that they employ people who probably couldn't work at most commercial companies.

Thanks!  I will definitely look for a place like that. :)

Firestone eh? Make sure its antifreeze. Years ago MIL took her low mileage Cadillac to Firestone for an oil change. They told her the motor was fried because the oil was milky. Without telling us, she had them put a rebuilt motor in for $4500. My guess, after FIL passed, it didn't get driven enough except for half mile trips for groceries. So the motor never got warm enough to prevent moisture in the motor. As for which vehicle to buy.  I've had Toyotas, Hondas and Mazdas. They're all good quality and run forever. But I only look back lovingly at the Mazdas I've had or have. Mazda is the small company trying to prove it can. Again, I reserve the Soul red GT or Signature model. ;) 

• Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Further said:

Do you want a van ? Drop a new motor in it.   :scratchhead:

How bout a Vette ?    ?

I sort of do (the utility is fan-effing-tastic), but there are several strikes against that ideer:

1) The wife would go ballistic!

2) Every mechanic I've known has said to give it up!  And they ALL had a financial incentive to say exactly the opposite!

3) It is a 1999.  It is due for inspection next year and there is a constant catalytic converter code.  It leaks earl.  Sometimes all the indicator lights go on, then reset with the next cold start.  It needs major suspension work that prevents aligning the wheels, so it sort of ate up the current taars.  One day in the driveway one of the front coil springs just failed loudly - quite startling.  SO I suspect the parts might be getting old and fatigued after 20 years of service. :dontknow: 

4) Wife has been waiting aboot 10 years for a new vehicle.

5) The transmission is also due to self destruct just like the last three have, right on shhhedule at ~75k.

6) See 1-5!

I did hear of a sweet 2007 Mustang GT, but I don't think my wife would be cool with that ideer either.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

You are lucky that YOU aren't full of antifreeze.  

The Faarstone guy chuckled when he showed me the milky old earl, and I said, hey, at least there is no free water in it. :D  So far no overheating issues.  I suspect they will come on slowly, not immediately like what killed my old Integra at 177,000 miles after a botched head gasket replacement.  These old Honda engines always seem to leak earl before they blow the head gaskets.  302k is snot bad though!

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Further said:

I really like the Sienna 

It took me 10-15 years or so, but I grew to love the Odyssey too.  The more it kept running and forestalled the eventual expensive replacement, the more I liked it!!  :D  It kicks ass for hauling bikes inside with no muss, no fuss - three very easily.  I will miss that. :(

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I recently researched that propylene glycol is less toxic than ethylene glycol, IIRC. :D

I watch some of these real life detective stories on TV, and it seems that antifreeze and rat poison are the weapons of choice in getting rid of unwanted, well-insured husbands.  Some of these women kill two or three husbands before someone finally realizes that their deaths appear to be a bit suspicious.  :rolleyes: 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, team scooter said:

Firestone eh? Make sure its antifreeze. Years ago MIL took her low mileage Cadillac to Firestone for an oil change. They told her the motor was fried because the oil was milky. Without telling us, she had them put a rebuilt motor in for $4500. My guess, after FIL passed, it didn't get driven enough except for half mile trips for groceries. So the motor never got warm enough to prevent moisture in the motor. As for which vehicle to buy.  I've had Toyotas, Hondas and Mazdas. They're all good quality and run forever. But I only look back lovingly at the Mazdas I've had or have. Mazda is the small company trying to prove it can. Again, I reserve the Soul red GT or Signature model. ;) 

I trust these guys pretty much, and they didn't try to sell any services, I guess they knew I was dealing with a terminal patient.  I'll check the earl often to see how it looks.  And I guess we need to limit it to short trips now.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Chrysler 300c 

It's snot my choice.  I advocated like hell for a Fit, Civic, or Accord, but most wimmin love their SUVs!  The wife was hot on the Mazda until a couple of  mechanics recommended to stay with Honda.  We'll try them both again - I haven't driven either yet.  We tend to keep them forever so durability means a lot.

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It's snot my choice.  I advocated like hell for a Fit, Civic, or Accord, but most wimmin love their SUVs!  The wife was hot on the Mazda until a couple of  mechanics recommended to stay with Honda.  We'll try them both again - I haven't driven either yet.  We tend to keep them forever so durability means a lot.

My mother loves her Toyota Rav4.  I drove it for a month between the truck and the 300c.  Fun car

• Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It has been leaking earl for the last few years, and with my Integra that was the head gasket.  I doubt it is anything simpler. 

Back in the day the head gasket was simple. Not no mo. The V6 in the Honda Oddity requires you to pull the engine to get the heads off. Try putting some stop leak in the cooling system. BarrsLeak was always my favorite. If it seals the leak into the engine maybe you can get another year out of it. Find one of those dealerships saying they will give $5,000 for any trade.

• Heart 1

So the CRV is sort of the top dog, but that shows in the price and eagerness of the dealers.  Close contest!

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/honda-cr-v-vs-mazda-cx-5

I'm not gonna pay a lot for this car!

OK, I Shirley will, but it is a nice thought.  Love those old Meinecke commercials.  "That muffler won;t fit YOUR car." :D

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/07/26/what-are-some-good-tactics-to-use-to-lower-the-price-of-a-car-while-negotiating-with-a-car-sales-person/

You should get a Sprinter conversion van so DH can borrow it.  Plus, you can just drive to work on a Monday and sleep in it all week, driving it back on Friday.  That way, you cut down your commute time, the mileage you drive goes way down, and you free up extra time for reading or riding during the week.  You go home Friday night for booty calls and normal weekend activity, then off you go again.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Based on US News ratings. you are looking at the #1 Honda and #3 Mazda choices for small suvs.  US News has the Ford Escape as #2, for 2018 models

Consumer reports lists the top three as the Mazda, the Toyota and the Honda for 2019 models.  Th

Hmm - interesting.  I wonder when the model breaks are.  The Mrs. will not even consider a Ford.