RIP Paul Sherwen

petitepedal

Just now, maddmaxx said:

We can always put Bobkie in his chair.

They probably will, but it won't be the same. I guess it shouldn't be the same, you don't replace Paul, you do something different, and Bbkie is certainly different, but also the real deal.

I wonder if Phil will go on without Paul ?

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

We can always put Bobkie in his chair.

I love  Bobke but that's not his strength. Christian VDV is a much smoother commentator and I'd like to see his role grow.

Phil Ligget has been the voice of pro cycling in the states but his mistakes are getting annoying.  He's always getting riders mixed up.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Further said:

Which one are you ?

I’m wearing the Flanders sweatshirt.

i am now reminder that it was PHIL who couldn’t operate the iPhone, and it was PAUL who mocked him. Hence the photo with Phil, but none with Paul.

If you appreciate travel blogs, this is my buddy’s entry for the event:

http://ridingontherhein.blogspot.com/2011/07/2011-ronde-van-vlaanderen.html?m=1

• Heart 3

17 hours ago, Further said:

Phil & Paul were the voice of profesional cycling.

I first heard them in 1988 or 1989 on Channel 4 when I was stationed in England. I'm disappointed when I see a cycling race on TV and they aren't the announcers. They might not be perfect, but as a team they were the best.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I embrace the mistakes and find them a bit funny, somewhat endearing, even.   :slow-dance-smiley:

I had typed something very similar but I ended up trimming it.  I even used the word "endearing". :D

It seems to me it is inherently difficult to tell one skinny rider from the 7 others who are dressed just like him.

I grew up watching football and it was the best when Madden and Summerall were the announcers.  I miss them, and others have taken their places, but really there's no one today I like as much as I liked them.  I suspect that for the rest of my life I will watch cycling and say "damn, I miss Phil and Paul".

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

It seems to me it is inherently difficult to tell one skinny rider from the 7 others who are dressed just like him.

And it's just a bicycle race.  It's not like they are reporting on something of real importance, such as the Super Bowl or the World Series.  :D

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I grew up watching football and it was the best when Madden and Summerall were the announcers.  I miss them, and others have taken their places, but really there's no one today I like as much as I liked them.  I suspect that for the rest of my life I will watch cycling and say "damn, I miss Phil and Paul".

My sentiments also.  Well said.  :(

• Awesome 1

26 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Phil makes a lot of mistakes, but he is old like me.  :)  I embrace the mistakes and find them a bit funny, somewhat endearing, even.   :slow-dance-smiley:

Well that was part of the appeal with the two.  Phil would mess up and Paul would straighten him out.  I wasn't implying I wasn't a Phil fan earlier, just that I don't think his schtick will work without Paul.

• Heart 1