Did you know, food edition

Randomguy

I agree that most hotdogs are loaded with salt

Costco Sells "Amylu Roasted Garlic & Asiago Chicken Sausage" - basically a 25% oversized chicken hotdog that's very good and tasty and fits on cheap hot dog buns.

There are 16 of them in a 40 oz. package.  They aren't cheap - $14.49, I think, but they're much better than the junk that most hotdogs are made of.

They're only 120 Cal. with 370 mg of sodium per link - about 1/2 an avg. piece of KFC chicken.

Compare 370 mg. Na in a 71 g. (2.5 oz) Amylu dog (148 mg/oz) with one hotdog results for:

Hebrew National, 49 g (1.7 oz), 450 mg Na (265 mg/oz)

Bar S Jumbo "America's #1 Hot Dog," 57 g (2 oz), 510 mg Na (255 mg/oz)

Ball Park Hot Dogs, 57 g (2 oz), 550 mg. Na (275 mg/oz)

1529597447506.thumb.jpg.5b4e6502416ac4e7e119b761ae4048b6.jpg1529597447305.thumb.jpg.b3a315db93ff1fb702830d5f42c4c763.jpg

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size1 Link (71g, 2.5 oz)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 120
Calories from Fat 60
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 65mg
Sodium 370mg
Total Carbs 1g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 0g
Protein 14g

Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 4%
Iron 4%

1529597447609.jpg

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Too much salt causes a host of medical problems.  Best to avoid too much of it.

I don't generally think I eat a lot of salt, but I guess I do when I choose something like this.  When you have a kid, finger food is more likely to be eaten, less likely to be spilled, etc.  When kids eat consistently and protein is included, their moods are more even and they are better overall.  This is why I have bought hot dogs at all in the last year. 

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That was disgusting, I'm glad I dont eat that.  The more she told me how good they are, the grossed out I got.

You didn't find it comforting?  

Yeah, it was a bit gross.  I suspect that any meat product is gonna end up looking like that.  I do want a hotdog now, though, and I respect them for putting a non-tarted up face on things.

I've known folks who make their own sausage at home. Premium cuts of meat, etc. 

When I was young, I saw a machine that would strip all the meat from bones and produce a meat paste. They would cut the meat off the bone like a butcher and throw the bones into the machine. The machine would crush the bones and run the product through a sophisticated sieve. Walla! Boneless meat paste.