To build or not to build?

dinneR

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

I've got some extra parts collecting dust. Should I sell them or buy a frame build a SS 29er? I've got a fork, wheels, brakes, as well as a few odds and ends. 

I'd need an old school frame that is 135 mm QR compatible and the fork is 80-100mm straight steer tube. 

Sounds like fun, I'd build one up.  Some of those old steel Breezers are still around and are 135.

• Heart 2

43 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Build if you can find a suitable frame for the right price. You'll take extra pride riding it knowing that you built it up.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Sounds like fun, I'd build one up.  Some of those old steel Breezers are still around and are 135.

Finding a frame could be challenging or maybe I am just impatient.

1 hour ago, dennis said:

Finding a frame could be challenging or maybe I am just impatient.

I used to do well picking up frames on Ebay, but these days everyone seems to think that their old frame is some sort of collectors gem.  Factory extras used to sell on Ebay but not so much anymore.

I'd consider building it as an 8 or 9 speed though with a single front ring.  That lets you use vertical dropout frames without any chain tension problems and single shifters and rear derailleurs are not that expensive in those ranges