What is this place?

Randomguy

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

It's a question. People who want to know about a place ask it.

Well, it is stupid, because it is usually obvious what the place is.  I overhear it every now and then and I think "You dummy tourist, you are in a bookstore, it is Barnes and Noble for dog's sake" and then I fantasize about breaking necks.  Almost always obvious what the place is.  "It is a building, you subhuman, there are doors, and windows, and other people are inside, and oh look, there is food being served, so it is a restaurant.  Ever been in one before?"

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Well, it is stupid, because it is usually obvious what the place is.  I overhear it every now and then and I think "You dummy tourist, you are in a bookstore, it is Barnes and Noble for dog's sake" and then I fantasize about breaking necks.  Almost always obvious what the place is.  "It is a building, you subhuman, there are doors, and windows, and other people are inside, and oh look, there is food being served, so it is a restaurant.  Ever been in one before?"

You live in a big city.  You are used to indoor plumbing and windows with glass in them.  A bookstore that just sells books is a shock to someone from Texas where the books are kept in a little room off the side of the feed store and you have to step over or in animal excrement to get to them.

We are so taken aback by your Barnes and Nobles, as we only have Barns and NoBulls in Texas, that we must ask with a sense of wonder "What is this place"?

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Okay, fine. If you are going to be a little bitch about it. The question could be interpreted to mean, What is the significance of this place to me? Or, What should be the significance of this place to me?

19 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Okay, fine. If you are going to be a little bitch about it. The question could be interpreted to mean, What is the significance of this place to me? Or, What should be the significance of this place to me?

People don't say what they mean, and that makes them bad communicators.  They should say something like "I am always confused and the talking part of my brain always goes before the thinking part tells me to stop saying stupid shit", because that would be accurate.

More thinking would solve this issue.  Htf should I or anyone else know or care how some peabrain douchenancy marks things as significant in their experience?  No, the onus is clearly on each of us to categorize our own experiences rather than have someone else do all the work and do their thinking for them.

Just now, JerrySTL said:

Well in places like New York City it may look like a pizza parlor, but really be a front for the Mafia. People want to be sure which is which.

There is no effective mafia in the city, corporations run things.  The mafia is in NJ, and I think Ralph heads it.  

The mafia seems to confine their activities to the mostly ethnic areas.  Italians and Russians and the like wouldn't put up with each other on their turf, but they are in the fringes.  I am sure there is still organized crime, but not enough to say "What is this place".

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

People don't say what they mean, and that makes them bad communicators.

It's interesting how the translation of different languages into English ends up creating different phrases. It may be that the colloquialism that is under consideration is commonly understood by the people who use the phrase most often. You're not part of that group so you wouldn't adopt the phrase. I think they probably wouldn't like your bigotry to be included in their group so you won't get invited, anyway.

26 minutes ago, donkpow said:

It's interesting how the translation of different languages into English ends up creating different phrases. It may be that the colloquialism that is under consideration is commonly understood by the people who use the phrase most often. You're not part of that group so you wouldn't adopt the phrase. I think they probably wouldn't like your bigotry to be included in their group so you won't get invited, anyway.

Bigotry?  For stupid phrases?  

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I gave you the best response ever in the history of the internet and time wasting web forums and you do not quote me?  You are a filthy cashew eating pedarast.  Good Day Sir.

I SAID GOOD DAY!

Hey, I am just a simple caveman lawyer, your writing confuses and scares me.