Stretching?

petitepedal

How much do you do?  

I keep talking about getting back to yoga..but with all the working out..time flies... Went to Barley John's last night (Sorry RG..due to the issues with lettuce..they had to change up the mix green salad with iceberg :dontknow:)   So no walking on the treadmill...tonight will be my full workout...stretched my legs this morning and had cramps in my calves :(  Drank lots o water yesterday..I gots me a new 32oz water bottle :nodhead:

41 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I do mine in the therapy pool at the aquatics center. The warm water relaxes your muscles making it easier.

I do a lot of my stretching in the shower for the same reason.  Yeah I try to keep my hamstrings and lower back loose or it will lock up on me.  

Not enough depending on planned activities.  When I was refereeing I had to stretch before games.  Part of that was 2 laps of walking around the field making sure to stretch out the ankles and calves while I did the field inspection.  Then usually I'd find something solid to lean against while again stretching the legs.  Cold/wet games were the worst.  No stretchie would result in some sort of pulled muscle and out for a week or more before I could run again.

3 hours ago, petitepedal said:

How much do you do?  

I keep talking about getting back to yoga..but with all the working out..time flies... Went to Barley John's last night (Sorry RG..due to the issues with lettuce..they had to change up the mix green salad with iceberg :dontknow:)   So no walking on the treadmill...tonight will be my full workout...stretched my legs this morning and had cramps in my calves :(  Drank lots o water yesterday..I gots me a new 32oz water bottle :nodhead:

I need to do more. I bought a mat for stretching on the floor a year ago. It's still in its packaging.

From time to time, there's a study that says stretching is bad for you. Then one that says it's good. The high-school softball, track, and cross-country athletes I coached from the '80's to '02 generally had fewer pulled muscles, etc. than opposing teams - at least fewer of our were ever out - and we stretched for about a dozen minutes before every practice or contest.  Before stretching, we did a very slow, easy jog for 1/4-1/2 mile.

When I was in China, I found Tai Chi amazing and may end up joining a class.  We did the "24 steps" version each morning on the deck of our Yangtze River cruise ship and the towns we would pass by had large groups people doing Tai Chi along the riverside.  In Shanghai, the major-league-sized stadium is open to the public around 7:30 am every morning and becomes filled with thousands of people doing Tai Chi.  Our Sheridan hotel was right across the street so we joined in.

Much of Chinese medicine is actually preventive rather than curative and Tai Chi is part of it in terms of loosening muscles and relieving stress.

16 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

IFrom time to time, there's a study that says stretching is bad for you. Then one that says it's good. The high-school softball, track, and cross-country athletes I coached from the '80's to '02 generally had fewer pulled muscles, etc. than opposing teams - at least fewer of our were ever out - and we stretched for about a dozen minutes before every practice or contest.  Before stretching, we did a very slow, easy jog for 1/4-1/2 mile.

When my son was coming up through the ranks they always stretched first, then warmed up.  Later on as he moved up the ranks they did more dynamic movements first, followed by J Bands, soft toss progressing to actual throwing and then stretching.  He then would go into the Bull Pen to get ready to pitch.  

He also saw a conditioning coach that stretched them last.  Gradual dynamic movements leading into a gradual increase in intensity & weight, cool down & stretch.

Sometime in the last few years the idea of stretching first took a back seat to warm up first stretch later.  Just curious how you did it as a coach as my daughter, just a few years older than my son always stretched first.

...I have a standard routine that I do somewhere near the turnaround on bike rides.  Also a standard routine before and after swimming. And some yoga.  I have to do a lot more as I age, and I used to do quite a bit of it anyway.  In my experience, a lot of people are so tight in certain places that they no longer recognize what those places used to feel like before they got tightened up. 

With swimming (on a regular basis, using free style or back crawl), there's a tendency to lose flexibility in the shoulders and chest area.  Bicycling, there's a natural tendency to shorten the deep abdominals like the psoas, and also to lose the ability to fully extend the feet pointing your toes, because the stuff that makes your feet drive the pedals gets tight in the ankles.

Any repetitive motion exercise with flexion will have a tendency to shorten stuff.