Pancakes, how do you make yours?

Randomguy

26 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That is almost a pancake!

No.  Pancakes are just doughy heaps of dough, flattened out to make them more edible in a mechanical sense.  They are relatively tasteless and must be covered in syrup or some other sugary glutenous concoction to make them at all desirable for humans to ingest.  Once in the gut, the pancake's main purpose and activity is to deliver calories and carbohydrates, the excess of which will be stored as fat to many humans who really don't need any more fat. 

High fiber cereal, OTH, is designed to keep the material in the gut moving along at a quicker pace, reducing the time the contents (everything eaten, not just the cereal) remain in the gut, intestines and colon, which is, all in all, a very good thing. 

41 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

No.  Pancakes are just doughy heaps of dough, flattened out to make them more edible in a mechanical sense.  They are relatively tasteless and must be covered in syrup or some other sugary glutenous concoction to make them at all desirable for humans to ingest.  Once in the gut, the pancake's main purpose and activity is to deliver calories and carbohydrates, the excess of which will be stored as fat to many humans who really don't need any more fat. 

High fiber cereal, OTH, is designed to keep the material in the gut moving along at a quicker pace, reducing the time the contents (everything eaten, not just the cereal) remain in the gut, intestines and colon, which is, all in all, a very good thing. 

WRONG!  Well, kind of.  I had lots of blueberries, some butter, and no syrup on them.  They did deliver calories and carbohydrates, though, and they are very tasty.

Your cereal did much the same thing, depending on the cereal.  Most are also glutenous and sugary as pancakes (without syrup like mine were, or with syrup like so many cereals out there are).  I imagine your cereal was ok, but ok cereal is still designed to hit the bloodstream fast and to store up if you don't burn it, same as pancakes.  

What kind of cereal was it?

To each his own.  I believe in the advertised health benefits of a high fiber diet.  For me, at least, it seems to have had very positive results.  But everyone is different.  Also, things work differently as you age.  Things that may seem to be of little concern to you when you are 40 can sometimes become of immeasurable importance at 60.  

One thing is certain.  If you continue to eat pancakes, you will surely die.  :(

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

To each his own.  I believe in the advertised health benefits of a high fiber diet.  For me, at least, it seems to have had very positive results.  But everyone is different.  Also, things work differently as you age.  Things that may seem to be of little concern to you when you are 40 can sometimes become of immeasurable importance at 60.  

One thing is certain.  If you continue to eat pancakes, you will surely die.  :(

The weird thing is that I never liked the standard of the standard pancakes, the fluffier the better.  I hate the fluffy pancake, I want something dense.  I used to make pancakes before big rides in the mid-90's, lots of butter, lots of syrup, and I used to add raw oatmeal to my batter for a sustained burn, and had them with a quart or so of milk.  After that, I stopped eating pancakes until recently, and I have made them three times now in the last couple months, and I like them.  I make half batches and no longer use syrup.  Carb addiction, like everybody else.

Higher fiber is better, but I think that slows down digestion rather than speed it up.  I think pancakes are a fine thing to eat sporadically, especially if you add supposedly healthier things like berries and oatmeal.  Grains are evil, I remain convinced, but are tasty and hard to give up.

Anyway, this post isn't about that, it is how other people make them so I can elevate my game when I do have them.  so far, I have Gran Marnier.  How much?

I have thought about adding lemon or orange zest and seeing what happens.

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Higher fiber is better, but I think that slows down digestion rather than speed it up.

It slows digestion, but the bulk helps the material to flow faster through the intestines, lessening the time it remains in your body.

With all the bad stuff that is in our food, the less time it has for absorption, the better.

20 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

IMO that applies to anything you eat.  Just sayn.

I used to use Bisquick, etc. but have now gotten lazy and buy the yellow plastic container where you add water and shake.

I don't buy the fruit-added stuff because it's not as good as adding your own strawberries, blueberries, etc, either on top, or in the mix itself.

Margarine and syrup - preferably Hungry Jack's Lite syrup that you can microwave before use - is all, I don't pile whipped cream, etc. on them.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

IMO that applies to anything you eat.  Just sayn.

The part about dying was a joke.

Statistics are fun.  You could probably show that of all the people who died of lung cancer in the US this year, 98% of them ate pancakes at some point in their lives.  So it must follow that eating pancakes causes lung cancer.   :D

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

The part about dying was a joke.

Statistics are fun.  You could probably show that of all the people who died of lung cancer in the US this year, 98% of them ate pancakes at some point in their lives.  So it must follow that eating pancakes causes lung cancer.   :D

Absolute certainty implies that living causes one to die.  Now, the real question was "how do you make your pancakes", not what do you put in them.  Semantics like punctuality are important.

I add blueberries to the batter. I am of the opinion that blueberries in the pancakes are better than on top of pancakes; they can't roll away that way. 

Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 3/4 tsp baking powder, and 2 Tblsp sugar. Lightly beat one large egg, add one cup milk, stir in 3 Tblsp melted butter. Combine with dry ingredients and stir until blended. Add fruit and nuts of your choice. A splash of Grand Marnier, Frangelico, or Framboise to your own taste.

Cook on a hot griddle with a little butter if desired until browned. Top with real maple syrup. 

5 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I add blueberries to the batter. I am of the opinion that blueberries in the pancakes are better than on top of pancakes; they can't roll away that way. 

I cannot believe the number of people who can't figure that out.

Have you ever added lemon or orange zest?

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I believe in the advertised health benefits of a high fiber diet. 

me too.  I make pancakes with a combination of white flour, whole wheat flour, corn meal, quick oats and flaxseed meal.

I dislike Bisquick pancakes in terms of both taste and texture.

• Awesome 2

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I hate the fluffy pancake, I want something dense.  I used to make pancakes before big rides in the mid-90's, lots of butter, lots of syrup, and I used to add raw oatmeal to my batter for a sustained burn, and had them with a quart or so of milk.  After that, I stopped eating pancakes until recently, and I have made them three times now in the last couple months, and I like them.  I make half batches and no longer use syrup.  ...  Grains are evil, I remain convinced, but are tasty and hard to give up.

Anyway, this post isn't about that, it is how other people make them ....

...sift  1 cup of whole wheat, hi protein flour (preferably from winter wheat) with 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and about 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and salt (you can probably go less on the soda and salt since you like them dense.) mix in about two teaspoons of oil, two eggs, and enough liquid (either milk or almond milk) to get the proper consistency for pancake batter.  

The best additions IME are either blueberries, or finely minced chunks of apple and walnuts.

Serve with butter, maple syrup, and sausage or bacon.  Try to live a little before the ground swallows you up.:slow-dance-smiley:

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

The weird thing is that I never liked the standard of the standard pancakes, the fluffier the better.  I hate the fluffy pancake, I want something dense.  I used to make pancakes before big rides in the mid-90's, lots of butter, lots of syrup, and I used to add raw oatmeal to my batter for a sustained burn, and had them with a quart or so of milk.  After that, I stopped eating pancakes until recently, and I have made them three times now in the last couple months, and I like them.  I make half batches and no longer use syrup.  Carb addiction, like everybody else.

Higher fiber is better, but I think that slows down digestion rather than speed it up.  I think pancakes are a fine thing to eat sporadically, especially if you add supposedly healthier things like berries and oatmeal.  Grains are evil, I remain convinced, but are tasty and hard to give up.

Anyway, this post isn't about that, it is how other people make them so I can elevate my game when I do have them.  so far, I have Gran Marnier.  How much?

I don't eat pancakes and never really cared for sweet breads but....  In Holland pancakes (pannekoeken) are very popular and are served as one giant pancake.  They are also served sweet and savory.

I had one once with cheese and a type of prosciutto that was out of this world.

I just use a mix often.  Easy when you're camping to just add water and go.  The secret is in cooking them on a steel griddle or cast iron pan over the fire.  Add oil to it and it almost deep fries them.  Gives a nice crispiness on the edges.  When you are cooking them for a softball team that has a 9:00 am game you gotta just churn and burn.  Put out a lot of pancakes in a short time. 

As far as adding shit to them, choc chips are the best.   A little powdered sugar and you have a damn funnel cake for breakfast! (note: we don't do this often).  You can add peanut butter chips as well.  I usually add real vanilla to the mix once I have mixed it up.  I like what that does for the flavor. 

15 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I have not. My wife is from Ohio and dislikes change. Citrus zest added to pancakes would upset her and I would have to live with the aftermath. Did I mention that she hates lemon?

• Confused 1

I have not been on a pancake binge for about 20 years now...at that time, I used a whole wheat mix..but I took bran buds and soaked them in milk before adding them to the pancakes...as well as vanilla...I use to serve them with fruit and a glob of vanilla yogurt...which was my "thing" back then....Use to eat them before a day bike trip :nodhead:

If I make them now...it is from scratch....but I think I have done that once in the last 3 or 4 years....

I do very a very similar thing to what Trenton said.  My wife is much mo' better at cooking them than I am, and hers do come oot nice and fluffy, which I do like.  That said, some of our favourite ones ever were apple wheat from The Four Seasons in DC I think.  Very dense, but so damn good!  So there is room for both dense and fluffy pancakes.  Apples and bananas and strawberries are the best shit to add, but you haven;t lived until you've added peaches.  In general, peaches make  the world go 'round. :D

• Heart 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, Randomguy said:

Like you a pancake occasionally is ok but then ...it um gets boring.

You might consider try making crepes...there's more an art.  You can also do more with crepes because they are thinner you can fold other things inside them....fresh/cooked fruit, or make them savoury with mushrooms/asparagus, prcoscuitto,  etc. inside.  I did the latter and draped the crepes with a mustard yogurt sauce.  It was delicious!

One can make a batch of crepes and freeze them. Microwave to warm up, etc.

Just now, shootingstar said:

My partner is the expert crepe maker.  One can put also smoke salmon inside, brie /camembert cheese...or raclette cheese, etc.  Waaaaay more variations with crepes.

The first time I had a crepe was in France.. I fell in love with these delicious yummy chocolate filled blankets. I didn't care too much for anything else in France, but the crepes were amazing! 

I always made turtle pancakes for the kids, sometimes snowman pancakes, or even snake pancakes. If you make them in fun shapes they taste better. I like buckwheat flour, ground flaxseed, chia seed, elderberries, cinnamon, or chocolate chips. I have pure maple syrup from the neighbors trees but I usually use local honey and cinnamon on mine. 

• Heart 1

On 12/4/2018 at 3:57 PM, Randomguy said:

No, but I have added citrus zest to a quick hot blueberry compote to go on top of blueberry laced pancakes.  You can't have too much blueberry.   My favourite pancakes were buttermilk pancakes topped with a little sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon.  That is my British heritage.  :) 

• Heart 2