Making presentation even wordier

shootingstar

Sigh.  The worst thing is to have your own manager make Powerpoint presentation even wordier... that's what happened in a meeting with myself, a colleague and manager.  It will be presented to a group of 40+ people.

I really HATE Powerpoint presentations that are near essays.  Or manuals. Gawd, are people crazy?

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Sigh.  The worst thing is to have your own manager make Powerpoint presentation even wordier... that's what happened in a meeting with myself, a colleague and manager.  It will be presented to a group of 40+ people.

I really HATE Powerpoint presentations that are near essays.  Or manuals. Gawd, are people crazy?

Bring an air horn as they will be sleeping... Yeah less is more...

People tend to over-estimate their audience's powers of concentration which is around twenty minutes. Again, they also over-estimate the amount of information people are capable of absorbing, which is the reason that information should be given in reasonably small bites. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

54 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

People tend to over-estimate their audience's powers of concentration which is around twenty minutes. Again, they also over-estimate the amount of information people are capable of absorbing, which is the reason that information should be given in reasonably small bites. 

Managers tend to think that their words should be engraved on stone tablets and deal with their dessemination accordingly.

Some managers that is.

6 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Why blame PowerPoint?  People were doing this with 35mm slides long before PowerPoint was being used.

And they had a flipchart to go with it, or used the flipchart independently.

When I was active in Toastmasters, one of the required speeches was giving a 5-7 minute presentation. Another was a 5-7 minute speech using props. Many would use PowerPoint for those. Almost common feedback was not using PowerPoint as a tool to supplement but as a primary to the extreme of insulting the audience by reading the points to them. For me, I went retro - flipchart, and they learned something as with the points pre-written, I did the reverse flip starting from back, flipping forward so you can't see the bleedthrough of what was coming...just the prior discussion. For the props speech, I used an object such as a bicycle an develop a speech around proper fit.

• Heart 1

The manager changed our draft presentation during our little scrum review in her office.  For my colleague and I to say anything to stop her, was useless.  

It's a bit shocking....full sentences for each slide of 6 slides.  I've never worked for a manager who expressed self in this way for presentation.  And I've worked with over 10 different managers in my career.  I thought my previous manager was abit too wordy/technical in his presentation....but this situation. ?