I think I need to move more to the fastidious side of the diagram

Ralphie

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Your proofreading certainly seems to confirm your lackadaisical nature.    :D 

You fastidious bastard!  Got me right after the editing time limit expired! :(

I was concentrating on finding just the right hot-crazy image.  Maybe I should have gone with a more detailed one like this (pinterest always has the best images but they make you join to snag them, the bastards):

vF4yZ7CDgUHMQ7wwQcTp9NZvUsFeCtsI9pYy0nb4

Thankfully my buddy jsharrt saved my ass with his true story aboot Dena Wormer. :)

• Heart 1

Just to make a long thread even longer, I thought I'd share the inspiration for this post.  I bought french bread and as I put it into my trunk, the bag became unsealed and spilled a bunch of sesame seeds into the trunk.  I hadn't even realized the bread was seeded because that store brand usually isn't , and a lady was blocking the container so I sort of had to sneak in to grab a loaf, and I never even thought to look at it .  Then I was also lackadaisical when I bent over to drop the bags into the trunk - I never even thought that there would be a problem, and viola, my trunk is now full of rat-attracting sesame seeds!  So moving along to the fastidious side, I did at least vacuum them up when I got home.

I think aboot this a lot.  Many times it pays to slow down just a tad and THINK aboot what you are doing.  But usually we want to be more on ottopilot and operate oot of habit.  A good example is when I almost smashed my thumb in the del Sol's trunk lid this summer because I closed it with my left hand right as I was pulling the key oot with my right.  This is also an example of a bad design because the keyhole is less than an inch away from the trunk lid, but it was still my fault for not compensating for that bad design and being extra careful and not rushing.  So the motto?  Slow the eff down and think!  This goes a little against human nature I think, because we want to be in the zone, the state of flow where you don't have to think, everything just comes naturally, so taking just that extra second or two seems like a pain.

Oh, and from Merriam-Webster:

fastidious

adjective

fas·tid·i·ous | \fa-ˈsti-dē-əs, fə-\

Definition of fastidious 

1a : showing or demanding excessive delicacy or care fastidious attention to detail— Robert Evett

b : reflecting a meticulous, sensitive, or demanding attitude fastidious workmanship

c : having high and often capricious standards : difficult to please critics … so fastidious that they can talk only to a small circle of initiates— Granville Hicks

2 : having complex nutritional requirements fastidious microorganisms

3 archaic : scornful

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Road Runner said:

If I slow down anymore, I will have to come to a dead stop.  :(

This is what I am looking forward to in retirement.  The work whirled just mooves to fast for me.  I hate few things worse than many simultaneous priority one tasks, yet that seems to be the norm.  IOW, stop the world, I want to get off. :D

22 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

This is what I am looking forward to in retirement.  The work whirled just mooves to fast for me.  I hate few things worse than many simultaneous priority one tasks, yet that seems to be the norm.  IOW, stop the world, I want to get off. :D

Retirement is definitely the best job I have ever had!

But not everybody is suited to it.  

Seriously, having lots of interests and hobbies other than work makes retirement much more fun...

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

• 1 year later...

I just thought of this again as I cut a pill and half of it rolled right down the sink drain as I watched helplessly.  I had to fish it oot and toss it because I think those pills have a solid substrate that does not dissolve.  Don;t ask me how I know this. :D I should have angled the pill away from the sink because half of those pills often shoost away when cut.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:11 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I think aboot this a lot.  Many times it pays to slow down just a tad and THINK aboot what you are doing.  But usually we want to be more on ottopilot and operate oot of habit.

Have you any experience with 'Human Performance'   

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I just thought of this again as I cut a pill and half of it rolled right down the sink drain as I watched helplessly.  I had to fish it oot and toss it because I think those pills have a solid substrate that does not dissolve.  Don;t ask me how I know this. :D I shoudl have angled it away form teh sink because half of those pills often shoost away when cut.

Put it inside of one of DH's hated zip lock bags and cut it in there through the open top.  The bag will almost always contain the flying pieces and at least you can use the bag many times.

54 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I just thought of this again as I cut a pill and half of it rolled right down the sink drain as I watched helplessly.  I had to fish it oot and toss it because I think those pills have a solid substrate that does not dissolve.  Don;t ask me how I know this. :D I shoudl have angled it away form teh sink because half of those pills often shoost away when cut.

I use a pill cutter.  For about $6, you can end your pill cutting woes.  :)

Image result for pill cutter

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

And potentially destructive.  Much of the bad stuff that happens in the world is the result of too much thinking and not enough doing.

I should probably post this in RG's philosophy thread.  :rolleyes:

Twue!  Also the point a corollary of this thread - often wham bam thank you maam is the best course of action, except when its snot. :(

I am definitely more of a thinker than a doer, but I'd rather not think either.  Doing is definitely not my thing. :D

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Also the point of this thread - often wham bam thank you maam is the best course of action

I often think of Jimmy Carter.  He has spent his later years doing for others, not sitting around telling us what we should do.  I wasn't a Carter fan politically, but I think he is to be greatly admired for what he does.  Even at his advanced age.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I often think of Jimmy Carter.  He has spent his later years doing for others, not sitting around telling us what we should do.  I wasn't a Carter fan politically, but I think he is to be greatly admired for what he does.  Even at his advanced age.

Yeah, he was hated by many mostly because inflation was so high, but realistically that was not his fault for the most part.  He is a model elder statesman though, no doubt aboot that.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yeah, he was hated by many mostly because inflation was so high, but realistically that was not his fault for the most part.  He is a model elder statesman though, no doubt aboot that.

Some ex-presidents jump out of planes.  Others write memoirs.  Jimmy tries to help people who need help.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Nope! Have you?  Sounds potentially either cool or dreadful!  Definitely dreadful in a corporate environment.

My employer jumped on the HP band wagon. They established a team to teach HP, spent a few months training them, then put everyone in the company through an 8 hour course taught by the HP team.

Of course they fucked it up.

The team was randomly selected, out of ten people there was one truly competent teacher, 2 guys that were sincere and tried hard, and 7 that were excruciating to listen too.

Management went through the course but spent most of the day on their phones and picked up on the buzz words, but don't understand how to apply it.

There is a lot of good information, but it has to be applied correctly.

Slow down to speed up became a mantra for many people    :scratchhead:    They were moving so slow they were approaching light speed  :D

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Further said:

My employer jumped on the HP band wagon. They established a team to teach HP, spent a few months training them, then put everyone in the company through an 8 hour course taught by the HP team.

Of course they fucked it up.

The team was randomly selected, out of ten people there was one truly competent teacher, 2 guys that were sincere and tried hard, and 7 that were excruciating to listen too.

Management went through the course but spent most of the day on their phones and picked up on the buzz words, but don't understand how to apply it.

There is a lot of good information, but it has to be applied correctly.

Slow down to speed up became a mantra for many people    :scratchhead:    They were moving so slow they were approaching light speed  :D

That is strange that they invest so much but dont; push for success.  Teaching is definitely an underrated skill - very few people make good teachers.

We had a similar debacle with Six Sigma.  It had a lot of good points but was aboot universally disliked because of the way it was implemented.

• Heart 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Cool!  What a hair band!  :D

Yes, I am a fan of guitar rock and hair bands.  Have you seen the commercial on television where the couple advertising insurance admits to having a ratt problem.  This was derived from that.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yes, I am a fan of guitar rock and hair bands.  Have you seen the commercial on television where the couple advertising insurance admits to having a ratt problem.  This was derived from that.

Yes, interesting. How much do insurance companies spend on advertising?  GEICO does tend to have the best ones. It’s what they do.  :D
(Hip hip, cheerio)

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yes, interesting. How much do insurance companies spend on advertising?  GEICO does tend to have the best ones. It’s what they do.  :D
(Hip hip, cheerio)

The best and brightest minds are recruited every year to work for the Madison Ave companies.  Advertising budgets for a globe spamming business like Geico must be huge.

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2018 at 11:11 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Just to make a long thread even longer, I thought I'd share the inspiration for this post.  I bought french bread and as I put it into my trunk, the bag became unsealed and spilled a bunch of sesame seeds into the trunk.  I hadn't even realized the bread was seeded because that store brand usually isn't , and a lady was blocking the container so I sort of had to sneak in to grab a loaf, and I never even thought to look at it .  Then I was also lackadaisical when I bent over to drop the bags into the trunk - I never even thought that there would be a problem, and viola, my trunk is now full of rat-attracting sesame seeds!  So moving along to the fastidious side, I did at least vacuum them up when I got home.

I think aboot this a lot.  Many times it pays to slow down just a tad and THINK aboot what you are doing.  But usually we want to be more on ottopilot and operate oot of habit.  A good example is when I almost smashed my thumb in the del Sol's trunk lid this summer because I closed it with my left hand right as I was pulling the key oot with my right.  This is also an example of a bad design because the keyhole is less than an inch away from the trunk lid, but it was still my fault for not compensating for that bad design and being extra careful and not rushing.  So the motto?  Slow the eff down and think!  This goes a little against human nature I think, because we want to be in the zone, the state of flow where you don't have to think, everything just comes naturally, so taking just that extra second or two seems like a pain.

Oh, and from Merriam-Webster:

fastidious

adjective

fas·tid·i·ous | \fa-ˈsti-dē-əs, fə-\

Definition of fastidious 

1a : showing or demanding excessive delicacy or care fastidious attention to detail— Robert Evett

b : reflecting a meticulous, sensitive, or demanding attitude fastidious workmanship

c : having high and often capricious standards : difficult to please critics … so fastidious that they can talk only to a small circle of initiates— Granville Hicks

2 : having complex nutritional requirements fastidious microorganisms

3 archaic : scornful

Gosh, Ralph. I don’t think we’ve ever seen you in such a storytelling mood. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, roadsue said:

After months at home, even the reticent tend to wax loquacious on the interwebs.

Wholy carp.  I pulled that off without referencing a spell chequer or a dictionary.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

7 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I often get in a roll on Saturday or Sunday  mornings or any day I am not at work. This was a great thread, if I do say so myself, and I do. :D  ( Have I mentioned I love quoting that bear of little brain?). :D

• Hugs 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

After months at home, even the reticent tend to wax loquacious on the interwebs.

Wholy carp.  I pulled that off without referencing a spell chequer or a dictionary.

I miss threads aboot big words. There is a good quote somewheres aboot that I need to dig up.  My FIL has a good variant he inserts into his stories:  “anyway, to make a long story even longer...” :D