Where can I find that Canadian matcha?

late

This week I have tried 3 harney teas. An oolong green, which didn't do it for me, despite it being expensive. I tried the Anniversary Blend, which was tolerable, but nothing special. I tried Brigette's Blend this morning, which was a blend of Assam and Ceylon. It could seem to make up it's mind what it was. You could make an interesting blend, I think, but not with that grade of tea.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

This might have been the link …..'cause I was hinting to dearie as a gift for moi:

https://letsmatcha.com/

Hopefully Machka is doing well...she was a great person.

Yes, thanks.

While they offer a nice discount, the shipping is $15. Which comes dangerously close to doubling the price.

Meanwhile, there was a website that was fanatic about matcha, had some insanely expensive stuff, can't find that either. Not that it matters, no way am I spending 60-120 bucks on a tiny tin of matcha.

One of the things I've learned from trying different teas is that the 2 blends I have been using are pretty good. The first is to brew up a pot of Mighty Leaf the regulation strength, and then add just a pinch of matcha.

The other starts the same, but I add a pinch of Harney Green Tropical.

When I want more of a hit, I do the first, I am in the mood for something pleasant, I throw in the pinch of Harney just so the Mighty Leaf isn't as wimpy.

I tried Malachi's Blend, from Harney, this morning. Big yawn. It has a hit of cheap tea flavor that throws the flavor profile off.

Feel like Diogenes looking for an honest to goodness great cuppa...

13 hours ago, late said:

Yes, thanks.

While they offer a nice discount, the shipping is $15. Which comes dangerously close to doubling the price.

Meanwhile, there was a website that was fanatic about matcha, had some insanely expensive stuff, can't find that either. Not that it matters, no way am I spending 60-120 bucks on a tiny tin of matcha.

One of the things I've learned from trying different teas is that the 2 blends I have been using are pretty good. The first is to brew up a pot of Mighty Leaf the regulation strength, and then add just a pinch of matcha.

The other starts the same, but I add a pinch of Harney Green Tropical.

When I want more of a hit, I do the first, I am in the mood for something pleasant, I throw in the pinch of Harney just so the Mighty Leaf isn't as wimpy.

I tried Malachi's Blend, from Harney, this morning. Big yawn. It has a hit of cheap tea flavor that throws the flavor profile off.

Feel like Diogenes looking for an honest to goodness great cuppa...

Well, you know if you are ever in Vancouver ...I believe the supplier is in Vancouver.  I know this feels vaguely like..trying to buy a pkg. of Kona coffee from Hawaii. Until we returned to Canada, we didn't realize how difficult it was to find coffee beans from Hawai'i in Canada.

I will be checking a long-time Japanese food store in Vancouver...but have a feeling they would have a lower grade.  This local food store chain, has a lot of Japanese-Canadian patrons of many decades, plus many others across Metro Vancouver.   What is sold in airport duty-free shops in Japanese airports....is the lower grade...because they probably figure tourists wouldn't understand the higher grades.

This place in Vancouver is near downtown, actually near Olympic Village but not in Chinatown (not that means anything.....because well um...Chinese/Asian establishments are all over the place. There are about 5 different "Chinatown" areas across Metro Vancouver... ), they are restaurant.  But their  other business is manufacturing fresh Chinese noodles of wide variety.  I mean they sell like 1 big lump of 1 lb. and more of noodles....

Looks like they sell some tea but I don't know the  quality.  I believe there was an annual tea lovers meetup association in Vancouver …  and most likely there is an Internet forum for true tea connoisseurs/afficandoes.

http://tokofoods.com/nav_rest_tea.asp

Here below, is a true Japan-grown firm ….since the 1800's from the Kyoto prefecture, where matcha tea was created by a Buddhist monk centuries ago.  

http://tsujiri-global.com/

https://tsujiri.ca/?SID=ukn03cm58gspijh8djfgpimh75

The firm has gone global and several outlets in Metro Toronto....and looks like 2 opening up in Vancouver.  It's not necessarily because there are a lot of Asian-Canadians in the area...but simply a larger market more receptive to Asian tastes. It is interesting that the Japanese firm has not yet considered any location in U.S. (My bet would be Seattle, LA/San Fran or NYC...)  wonder what the business barrier for establishing in the US would be.