Jump to content
New Theme Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jsharr

For the drinkers amongst us

Recommended Posts

If you had to limit yourself to one type/brand of alchohol for the rest of your life what would it be?

I mean one brand of beer, or one vintage of wine or one type of fermented beverage from a particular distiller.

I think I would have to go with vodka.  Not sure which one though.  I would have to ponder on this one.  Possibly Chopin Potato Vodka

If you could stock your bar with one or two brand of vodka, tequila, rum, gin, and whiskey, what would you go with?  
Vodka - Chopin and Smirnoff
Tequila Herradura Anejo and Don Julio Blanco
Rum Appleton Estate for a dark rum and Havana Club Anejo Blacon
Gin Tanqueray 10 and Bloom
Whisky - This is a hard one but would go with a good bourbon like Buffalo Trace and a nice Highland single malt, probably Oban

Martha gets to choose the wine.

I am not a beer snob, but I prefer lighter golden beers, so a lager, or pilsner or wheat beer most likely.  
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Bourbon.  That is the answer to all of the questions. 

Agreed.  If it was one whiskey, bourbon would be my choice.  Buffalo Trace.

Now answer my question, you blood sucker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to limit to one item, it would be Heineken.

Vodka - I don't vodka much but I'd pick Absolute
Rum - I don't drink rum enough to select
Gin - Tanqueray
Whisky - Wild Turkey, or Elijah Craig

Wine I don't drink much at all but I'd pick Pies Porter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One liquor choice would be a single malt from Islay. Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich, Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, Ardbeg, Bowmore. They're all good. I heard Laphroaig described as "like kissing a mermaid who just ate barbeque".

Bourbon: Woodford Reserve is my favorite.

Gin, Vodka, Rum, Tequila: no preference as long as it's above rail level.

Beer: An IPA. Ruination from Stone is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One type of alcohol for the rest of my life..... I think I'd stick with a beer and I could do a lot worse than a Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA.

Otherwise I'd be just fine with a bar stocked as follows

Vodka - Ketel One, Luksusowa (Polish potato vodka)
Tequila - Cuervo 1800, Patron silver
Rum - Myers Dark (is there a need for anything else?  maybe 151 for fire tricks?)
Gin - Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks
Whisk[e]y - Four Roses (bourbon), Oban (scotch)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Is there a "none" among the choices.

You will note that I directed this at those amongst us who drink.  In your defense, I did not state drink alcohol.  Hydrate or die my friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

One type of alcohol for the rest of my life..... I think I'd stick with a beer and I could do a lot worse than a Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA.

Otherwise I'd be just fine with a bar stocked as follows

Vodka - Ketel One, Luksusowa (Polish potato vodka)
Tequila - Cuervo 1800, Patron silver
Rum - Myers Dark (is there a need for anything else?  maybe 151 for fire tricks?)
Gin - Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks
Whisk[e]y - Four Roses (bourbon), Oban (scotch)

I could live with your list except for that damn IPA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I could live with your list except for that damn IPA.  

BYO if you stop by then.

With the beer I listed 11 types of alcohol..... but at the moment there's only one of these actually in my house (Myers).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we limiting our bar to one drink, or stocking it with two varieties of each type of liquor? Two totally different questions. And are we playing with Monopoly money, or a real budget?

For one beverage for eternity, i’d go with a New England IPA. Ballast Point, Sierra Nevada Hazy Little IPA, something like that. Good on a hot day, adequate abv for a good time, hoppy but not overly so. If I got a second style, it would be Guinness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

Are we limiting our bar to one drink, or stocking it with two varieties of each type of liquor? Two totally different questions. And are we playing with Monopoly money, or a real budget?

For one beverage for eternity, i’d go with a New England IPA. Ballast Point, Sierra Nevada Hazy Little IPA, something like that. Good on a hot day, adequate abv for a good time, hoppy but not overly so. If I got a second style, it would be Guinness.

All hypothetical and based on what you normally spend / drink.  Play like you were paying the tab.

Two sides to the question, hard and easy.  Hard side is just one drink, type and brand, like the aforementioned Dogfishhead IPA thingee

Second is stock your bar with two bottles in each category.  Hard part of this one for me is whisky, as I did not break them out into bourbon, single malt scotch, whiskey, rye, etc.  You have to make that choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly Sweetwater 420.   I love a great many beers so it is a tough choice but I am so happy that my brandy-new (PI) LLS carries it. :)

The only whiskey I have liked that I have tried is Jamison Irish Whiskey and it is close, but I am definitely a beer guy (desperately trying to loose the evidence of that. :D ).  Scotch is horribibble!

I love gin - Tanqueray is my fave so far, but I have never tried the more spendy ones like Hendricks, although my BIL did feed me some nice dark gins that were good.

Rum is delicious.  I second Trenton's Myers Dark, but I would like to celebrate the entire catalog.  That said, I haven't; had any in ages, and probably a rum in coke anyway.  Although I did attend a rum tasting at Cuba Libre in Philly that was quite nice.

I also second RGs assessment - you are a very very bad man jsharrt!

Babu-No.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chesapeake Bay steamed crabs without beer is like Eggs Benedict without the Hollandaise Sauce.

So, since that's what I drink with steamed crabs. Mexican food, or any other spicy eats, I have to go with beer.  I don't care which brand, though Lite is always preferable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Chesapeake Bay steamed crabs without beer is like Eggs Benedict without the Hollandaise Sauce.

So, since that's what I drink with steamed crabs. Mexican food, or any other spicy eats, I have to go with beer.  I don't care which brand, though Lite is always preferable.

See, this I don't care thing is what is wrong with our world.  You have to know where you stand son!  Anchor Steam sounds like a nice beer to go with crabs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I don't care which brand, though Lite is always preferable.

I don;t mid the occasional Yuengling Premium Light in an effort to shave costs and calories.  It has a nice flavour, but is oh so thin-bodied.  I look at it as a cut-rate pilsner or Kolsch.  Has to be chased with a heavier beer though, so that sort of limits the caloric benefit. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was one type of drink was all I could have, a La Frenz Pinot Noir.  A great wine that I can pair with a wide range of dishes.

If is is just one type......

Vodka would be Stolichnaya, cold.  I don't drink a lot of vodka.

Rum - A tough one for me.  Has to be amber and drank neat.  Either Angostura 1824 or Bumbu.  Two totally different flavours

Whisky - Probably go with Knob Creek Bourbon.  It is good in a "Old Fashioned"

Scotch -  I'd pick which ever rum I didn't pick above, and add a teaspoon of mud to every glass, because to me Scotch just taste like good rum with dirt in it.

Beer - Alexander Keiths Red.  Because I am an East Coast boy

Gin - Tanqueray because that is what my wife likes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Then answer the second half damnit!  I cannot wait to see your list!  

Wine, a nice Barolo or Pinot Noir

Vodka, Russian Standard Platinum.

Whiskey, Lockes Single Malt

Scotch, Macallen 15 yr.

Gin, Hendricks with Tanqueray Rangpur playing short stop. 

Rum, Zacapa for sipping and Mt. Gay Extra Old for mixing.

 

The only drink forever- Guinness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I don;t mid the occasional Yuengling Premium Light in an effort to shave costs and calories.  It has a nice flavour, but is oh so thin-bodied.  I look at it as a cut-rate pilsner or Kolsch.  Has to be chased with a heavier beer though, so that sort of limits the caloric benefit. :D

 

Please don’t ever compare Yuengling to Kölsch again. And Kölsch isn’t Kölsch outside of Cologne, that’s why you see “Kolsch-style” references.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Hey - it is mild and tasty - close enough in my book!

Now I'll have to find some Kolsch style beer (which is snot easy!) and do a side by side test.  Stay tuned!

(Have ya ever noticed there is always a liquor store next to a gym?)  True for my  closest set in at least there directions!  Not sure aboot east.

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/what-is-kolsch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beer is my go to drink, and Mich Ultra is my go to beer. but if I were limited to only one beer, it would be Bell's Two Hearted, the Mich is ok & light enough to drink a few, but if you're limited to just one beer, it better be special, and Ultra is not special. The Bells has something to make a beer special, maybe drink less but enjoy it more.

Wine & liquor I don't drink enough of to have any preference   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

And Kölsch isn’t Kölsch outside of Cologne, that’s why you see “Kolsch-style” references.

I like kolsch, and I don't much care where in the world it is from or how thoroughly umlauted it is, I am just gonna call it kolsch.  I like Oktoberfest beer too, and I don't care if you call it Marzen, it is still tasty and good if you are in the mood.  Zima is still king, and always will be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I like kolsch, and I don't much care where in the world it is from or how thoroughly umlauted it is, I am just gonna call it kolsch.  I like Oktoberfest beer too, and I don't care if you call it Marzen, it is still tasty and good if you are in the mood.  Zima is still king, and always will be!

Just like Champagne made outside of a region in France is just sparking wine, Kölsch made outside of Köln is just an ale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×