PETA wants to help you use new phrases

Randomguy

PETA is losing its way by spreading out into intrusive, unpopular with many, ideas that weaken support for it's primary purpose: "People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals."

Way back in my 30's, I was the President of the Maryland Waste Coalition, recognized as Maryland's citizens environmental watchdog group by the U.S. RCRA Act.

One of our members/advisor was our county's first Black Woman County Council member.  She had been very active in the 1960's Civil Rights movement and showed us how we could use some of the tactics and wisdom from that movement.

Her best advice to me was, "Keep your eyes on the prize."

In other words, don't get diluted by embracing many causes at once. So, we did not affiliate ourselves with green movements that did aggressive things like plug-up the drainage pipes from a factory, etc.  We kept our aim and our press releases limited to the few-at-a-time specific problems we were trying to correct: hazardous waste being dumped on groundwater-recharge areas, coal barge contamination of Chesapeake Bay shoreline, etc.

We were very successful, and because we stayed away from controversial tangential issues, we had strong support from Dem. Senators Barbara Mikulski (who whipped our rallies into a frenzy with her excellent speaking style) and Paul Sarbanes, as well as support in court from our GOP County Executive Bob Pascal - who was standing by to bail us out of jail if we got arrested during one major protest.  Supporting us was not going to cost them votes.

But I've seen so many movements self-destruct by embracing tangential issues and acting like they knew-it-all.  For example, the Occupy Wall Street movement began by opposing economic inequality that stemmed from Wall Street.  But soon it was embracing social movements of all sorts, which shaved away many of its original supporters who did not share those views.

Now PETA is sticking its nose in people's business that has little to do with "ethical" treatment of animals.  Disapproving of "Bring home the bacon," is surely seen as a "Do not eat pork!" commandment from PETA.  That turns me off to PETA - an organization I could support if they'd simply keep their eyes on the prize.

• Heart 4

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

the Occupy Wall Street movement

In New York, it was an actual movement that spilled over from the raping and pillaging and inequities of being here.  It quickly became something that it was not, just some hyper-stupid and very different beast from the actual origins.  Made me sick what it looked to be within a very short time span.

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Now PETA is sticking its nose in people's business that has little to do with "ethical" treatment of animals.  Disapproving of "Bring home the bacon," is surely seen as a "Do not eat pork!" commandment from PETA.  That turns me off to PETA - an organization I could support if they'd simply keep their eyes on the prize.

PETA has always been "out there".  It probably started with good intentions (just guessing), but they have embraced every lunatic idea they have come across for the last thirty years or so that I can remember.  This seems right up their alley to me.

You know we are all monsters to them.

They never should have let this cat out of the bag.  And why didn't they let people make up their own alternate phrases?  Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach him to fish, you feed him forever.  You would think they knew that one.

I also like the nekkid chick campaign, it has been quite effective for me.  I'm inspired to eat more meat, and get more people to eat more meat so they'll have a good reason to keep that campaign going.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I am going to use each of these terms 10 times more often than I did in the past just because of this bullshit.  (Am I still allowed to say bullshit?)

atta buddy!  Way to take the bull by the horns.  These pig headed PETA people are like fish out of water to me.  They really get may goat.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 12string said:

They never should have let this cat out of the bag.  And why didn't they let people make up their own alternate phrases?  Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach him to fish, you feed him forever.  You would think they knew that one.

I also like the nekkid chick campaign, it has been quite effective for me.  I'm inspired to eat more meat, and get more people to eat more meat so they'll have a good reason to keep that campaign going.

I think you are feeding a fed horse here.

• Haha 1