Do you eat much fast food?

Road Runner

I used to.  It was so convenient and fit my laziness profile perfectly.  But when I went on my low fat diet about a decade ago, I gave it all up, even Chinese takeout, which I used to believe was superior to all other forms of human nourishment.  Every once in a great while, I would still stop at Arby's and have a turkey club sandwich and onion rings (my favorite) just for old time sake, but I don't even do that anymore.  It was sort of like an addiction.  Once I kicked the habit, I really didn't crave it anymore.  When I am out and about these days and I drive past a past-favorite fast food place, I still think about stopping in and getting a burger or some such, but then I think of all the better stuff I already have waiting for me at home, and the evil thoughts disappear.  :)

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Sad 1

Ditto, except I did not give it all up until recently.   And like you, the cleaner I eat and the longer I eat clean, the more I do not want the crap.  I can tell a difference in how I feel and how my body reacts.   I will not go so far as to say I have kicked the habit, but I do much better.

Case in point.  Office ordered lunch in today.  Someone stopped at my door and asked what I wanted from Schlotzkys, which is a Texas based sandwich chain.  I passed and told them I was going to eat my steamed veggies and chicken breast.

I have taken to recording my food intake and try to stay around 2200 calories per day.  Doing pretty good so far.  Still have a few cheats, but overall I eat clean.  Oatmeal for breakfast with black coffee.  Chicken veggies and water for lunch.  Mixed nuts or an apple and cheese for snacks and clean dinner at home.  Wife and I are both eating cleaner.  She is on Optavia (used to be Medifast) and has lost 30 lbs or so since August.  I have only been doing this for about a month and am down to low 240s.  Was around 260 recently.  My target is 220 and hope to be there this spring.  

I ended up choosing an Android phone app called LoseIt that prompts me to enter each meal with reminders.  Has a decent data base of foods and will scan a barcode, like the label on my oatmeal and ask for a portion size.  It remembers my common foods which makes meal entry a snap and helps to keep me honest.

End goal is no BP/cholesterol/diabetes meds.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

At work I eat out on Tuesdays and Thursdays, aboot half the time at Wendy's and half the time at Chinese joints.

I vastly prefer Wendy's to other fast food, because I think it is cheap and good.  But I realize that it is snot healthy in the least, but to go oot to lunch, you have to make concessions.  At one Chinese place, I love the Chinese broccoli, but usually get beef with peppers and onions because the broccoli dish is broccoli only.

I still believe there is room for a healthy fast food place.  Chipotle and the like are maybe a step in that direction, but don't quite hit the spot for me.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I still believe there is room for a healthy fast food place.  Chipotle and the like are maybe a step in that direction, but don't quite hit the spot for me.

This is a good point.  We have a Chipotle nearby, but I've never tried it.  What about that Panera Bread place?  Aren't they supposed to have a healthier fare?

Just now, Road Runner said:

This is a good point.  We have a Chipotle nearby, but I've never tried it.  What about that Panera Bread place?  Aren't they supposed to have a healthier fare?

Panera Bread just seems sort of ordinary to me, sandwiches and salads, routine stuff.  I guess the classic fast food joints also have salads, but I usually don;t get them because they are expensive and usually not very good and too loaded with heavy stuff like cheese and meat, plus they take longer to eat, which matters for a work lunch.

Chipotle has too much meat and guacamole for me.  They do have some healthy ingredients though.  There are none close to me so I have only been a few times.  There are also some newish places like Zoe's Kitchen that have a lot of kale and quinoa, but they are also not close to me, either at home or at work.

Just now, 12string said:

How did you manage to use "Chipotle" and "healthy" in the same thought?

Is Panera considered fast food?  You really can eat rather healthy there.  Subway veggie sandwiich, if you order a whole grain roll

You have to exercise LOTS of self control and pick more veggies and lettuce and beans than meat and guacamole and minimal rice.  Since I have so little experience there I don;t know how feasible that is.  I assume they have a veggie bowl.  Not sure if you can control the amount of meat in those bowls.

I consider Panera more as semi-fast food, like Chipotle and Subway.

Just now, 12string said:

How did you manage to use "Chipotle" and "healthy" in the same thought?

Is Panera considered fast food?  You really can eat rather healthy there.  Subway veggie sandwiich, if you order a whole grain roll

I sort of miss the defunct Subway here because of all the veggies you can add.  I never had the willpower to stick to a veggie sub.  I just piled all the veggies I could on an Italian. :D

4 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Panera Bread just seems sort of ordinary to me, sandwiches and salads, routine stuff.  I guess the classic fast food joints also have salads, but I usually don;t get them because they are expensive and usually not very good, plus they take longer to eat, which matters for a work lunch.

Chipotle has too much meat and guacamole for me.  They do have some healthy ingredients though.  There are none close to me so I have only been a few times.  There are also some newish places like Zoe's Kitchen that have a lot of kale and quinoa, but they are also not close to me, either at home or at work.

My usual go to at Chipotle is the veggie burrito.  I assume you can really health it up by putting it in a bowl.  

I consider that to be a pretty healthy option for fast food when traveling.  

On the topic at hand, we don't eat too much fast style food.  Mostly we eat home foods, due to being cheap and wanting to preserve our health.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I eat a lot of chicken fingers, Churches seems to be the most meaty. If I can, I strip off as much of the coating as possible.

Prolly a burger per month; fries/ rings/ shrooms about twice a year each.

For me, the salt is the biggest challenge. All fast food tastes about 4 times saltier than it needs to be. Blech.

Well technically it is not fast when it is served to me.. it might have been mildly fast at one time wandering around a field when it was alive.. Don't really know. And potatoes are not fast at all unless they are being shot from a cannon. They just lay around asking to be deep fried! 

• Awesome 1

Almost never, unless I am in Ohio or an airport, and I will sometimes stop in one with RO.  She often says she is hungry, but then won't eat decent food when it is presented to her, so I don't want to waste the money and will get her nuggets or a burger of a sort.  I won't feel so bad about wasting money if it is in happy meal format.

My favorite go to place while traveling is a grocery store.  They have plenty of healthy food options that are quick.  Usually, there is even a microwave to heat the food and a table to sit down at.   Its an inexpensive and clean option for life on the road.  My husband and I have been perfecting the art of life on the road.   

• Heart 3

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

My favorite go to place while traveling is a grocery store.  They have plenty of healthy food options that are quick.  Usually, there is even a microwave to heat the food and a table to sit down at.   Its an inexpensive and clean option for life on the road.  My husband and I have been perfecting the art of life on the road.   

That sounds like rolling into the city market when arriving in Moab.  A loaf of bread, some cheese, mustard, maybe some meat , plus whatever was on the menu at the campfire.

I wish I was in Moab right now, although it is frickin' cold ATM.

I eat fast food more than I should, about once a week. Better restaurant food is about twice a month.

Additionally, dinner at home during NFL games is sometimes chicken hot dogs with Cheez-its.

My diet has greatly improved otherwise, after having taken the type-II diabetes course of classes from the U. of Maryland Hospital system last summer.

I have an extensive blood test every three months due to type II diabetes and the results indicate my overall diet is acceptable.

I have a Chinese takeaway perhaps one a week, but as I don't eat very much these days this sometimes makes two meals. Living alone I tend to tire of cooking for one, so it makes a nice change and it's very easy as the place is just a step or two away.

I'm at the age where I've stopped thinking about what's good for me and now I eat what I feel like eating.....such thinking is just a bore and I can't for the life of me understand why all men don't wear trousers with elasticated waistbands.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

...there are a loot of ramen houses and pho places here. Many of them put out a pretty good bowl of soup and noodles.  this time of the year there's nothing better than ending a 30 mile bike ride at 50 degrees with a little breeze to add to the chill at a ramen house. :)  Other than that, I pretty much eat at home.  I'm not going to apologize for eating noodles and soup.  Condemn me if you want.:nyanya:

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

I have a Chinese takeaway perhaps one a week, but as I don't eat very much these days this sometimes makes two meals. Living alone I tend to tire of cooking for one, so it makes a nice change and it's very easy as the place is just a step or two away.

...given the winter weather there and the fact that "haggis house" just does not sound quite right, someone ought to open a good ramen house in your small but fashionable town. :) 

11 hours ago, No One said:

...given the winter weather there and the fact that "haggis house" just does not sound quite right, someone ought to open a good ramen house in your small but fashionable town. :) 

I really wish they would, as I love that kind of food. However, there is a small Thai "street food" place in St Andrews which is only a short distance away which is really good. As far as food is concerned I just love variety, and that does include haggis... Smartypants.

18 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

I'm at the age where I've stopped thinking about what's good for me and now I eat what I feel like eating.....such thinking is just a bore and I can't for the life of me understand why all men don't wear trousers with elasticated waistbands.

Yea, like a toasted bagel with butter and coffee from a donut shop.  Does a blueberry turnover count from a gourmet pie shop yesterday after work count?

Weird as it may be, it's better for me, to think of takeout food as a novelty to have 1-2 times per month.  The question should be how often do you eat out at restaurants, cafes, etc.  Since eating out is not controlling how a dish is prepared.

I have ….Chinese home-cooked meals....60% of time at home.  The restaurants can do it better. Even myself, I find eating out at Chinese restaurants a different experience for me. ? I don't cook quite like that but enjoy certain dishes if well executed (and not entirely healthy at all.)