Stress Eating

jsharr

One of my reactions to stress is to eat.  I have to consciously stop myself multiple times per day from grabbing a handful of bad stuff that is laying around the office for snacks.  The urge increases as my stress level increases.   Even grabbing a handful of good stuff adds up.  Need to just alleviate the stress eating, but not sure how.  I have to have a mental conversation with myself to remind me that the long term bad effects are not worth the short term satisfaction.

If I am depressed or in a bad mood, I will often just pull a Tom Cruise / Risky Business and say what the fuck.  

I tend to be a perfectionist at work and negatively interpret constructive criticism or feedback, which leads to more stress.  

Any other stress eaters in here and if so, do you mind sharing what you do to control your urges?

Just now, jsharr said:

One of my reactions to stress is to eat.  I have to consciously stop myself multiple times per day from grabbing a handful of bad stuff that is laying around the office for snacks.  The urge increases as my stress level increases.   Even grabbing a handful of good stuff adds up.  Need to just alleviate the stress eating, but not sure how.  I have to have a mental conversation with myself to remind me that the long term bad effects are not worth the short term satisfaction.

If I am depressed or in a bad mood, I will often just pull a Tom Cruise / Risky Business and say what the fuck.  

I tend to be a perfectionist at work and negatively interpret constructive criticism or feedback, which leads to more stress.  

Any other stress eaters in here and if so, do you mind sharing what you do to control your urges?

I'm afeared that the only way is is to limit access.  I keep taking bigass containers of peanuts to work and then I blow through them in a week.  If you bring them, they will get eaten.  I keep meaning to parcel them oot day by day from home, but I am too lazy to do that consistently.  When I have no nuts, I can;t eat them.  On those nutless days often I will get a package of Goldenburg's Peanut Chews from the vending machine.  I used to eat the whole 270 calorie package in one day, but most days I have the willpower to eat just half.  I have to put myself on a strict schedule like one of the 6 pieces at 2, one at 3 and one at 3:30.  And it is only rarely that I become cookie monster and eat the whole package.  :D

I have been meaning to pick up the book Mindless Eating.  I would recommend reading that.

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My world right now is stress from every direction, and I am down almost 10 lbs.  I have done it by not eating in the morning until I am really lightheaded, then I have a big lunch.  Snacky dinner, really light.

This isn't sustainable, but it has worked so far.

• Sad 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

My world right now is stress from every direction, and I am down almost 10 lbs.  I have done it by not eating in the morning until I am really lightheaded, then I have a big lunch.  Snacky dinner, really light.

Yeah - if I deprive myself the rebound isn't pretty. :( 

Much like eating salads for dinner always leads to excessive snacking later that evening.  One thing that really works for me is lowfat cottage cheese with various veggies like tomatoes, cukes, celery, peppers, and onions.  One of the few things I have found that is low cal and filling.  All that is missing is crunch, but celery and peppers help with that.  Mashed taters also are another good veggie substrate.

4 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

If you bring them, they will get eaten. 

If it is easy to eat stuff, that stuff will get eaten.  If I have cookie dough assembly materials, pure laziness will generally stop me in my tracks.  If I make the dough and put it in the fridge, I will eat the dough if I don't bake cookies.  The harder I make it on myself, the more likely I am to not gorge.

I accidentally made too much pizza dough yesterday, so I accidentally ate a huge pizza.  I then felt bad about it.

I will make cookie dough tonight, btw, I have been meaning to do that for at least a week.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am diabetic and so I really need to eat consistently, but clean.  I took the ostrich approach to managment and it did not work.  I need to work on a sustainable, realistic liveable plan.  Bringing clean lunches has helped.  Hard to eliminate the office snacks as I am the one in charge of making sure they are on hand, but I am making sure there are better choices for me and I may eliminate the worst choices and see if I get any back lash.

10 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I'm afeared that the only is is to limit access.  I keep taking bigass containers of peanuts to work and then I blow through them in a week.  If you bring them, they will get eaten.  I keep meaning to parcel them oot day by day from home, but I am too lazy to do that consistently.  When I have no nuts, I can;t eat them.  On those nutless days often I will get a package of Goldenburg's Peanut Chews from the vending machine.  I used to eat the whole 270 calorie package in one day, but most days I have the willpower to eat just half.  I have to put myself on a strict schedule like one of the 6 pieces at 2, one at 3 and one at 3:30.  And it is only rarely that I become cookie monster and eat the whole package.  :D

I have been meaning to pick up the book Mindless Eating.  I would recommend reading that.

I hope that you are not right, but I am afeared that you may be.  I refuse to even look at the vending machines in the basement if I go to get the mail.  We used to be on a first name basis, me and old Ven.

How do you mean?

Just eat them together - nice creamy buttery mashed taters with diced veggies mixed in.  Most people would poo poo such a meal, but it is one of my favourites when the Mrs. is oot.  Quick, easy, cheap, somewhat low cal yet maybe a tad high on carbs, yet filling.  Jalapenos really spice it up nicely. :)

I remember reading a while ago aboot a few mashed tater restaurants that sounded interesting.  Just think what always goes first at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I often hear that taters are empty calories, and I think they are much more healthful baked with the skin on if you eat the skin, but I think they are a good source of bulk to stave off further snacking.

• Heart 1

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Just eat them together - nice creamy buttery mashed taters with diced veggies mixed in.  Most people would poo poo such a meal, but it is one of my favourites when the Mrs. is oot.  Quick, easy, cheap, low cal, yet filling.  Jalapenos really spice it up nicely. :)

I remember reading a while ago aboot a few mashed tater restaurants that sounded interesting.  Just think what always goes first at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I often hear that taters are empty calories, and I think they are much more healthful baked with the skin on if you eat the skin, but I think they are a good source of bulk to stave off further snacking.

Yeah but mashed potato is not great for diabetics.  Mashed cauliflower maybe!?!?

• Awesome 1

23 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Retire.

Just now, jsharr said:

I am diabetic and so I really need to eat consistently, but clean.  I took the ostrich approach to managment and it did not work.  I need to work on a sustainable, realistic liveable plan.  Bringing clean lunches has helped.  Hard to eliminate the office snacks as I am the one in charge of making sure they are on hand, but I am making sure there are better choices for me and I may eliminate the worst choices and see if I get any back lash.

I hope that you are not right, but I am afeared that you may be.  I refuse to even look at the vending machines in the basement if I go to get the mail.  We used to be on a first name basis, me and old Ven.

This is what led to my failed 'speriment with dried veggies - the quest for a dry non-perishable snack that doesn't pack on the pounds like potato chips or any other kind of chip.  That is still sort of my Holy Grail, but so far I got nothing.  Peanuts are the closest I have come.  They are perfect except they are loaded with fat and very addictive.  Maybe I need to stick with unsalted ones which are not nearly as addictive.  Square Wheels posted a while ago aboot how Planters has all these other ingredients on peanuts, I am sure to make them much more addictive, and it works like gangbusters!  What is insidious is the store brands followed their lead and do that too, and also they do make plain ones that look EXACTLY the same as far as packaging - the only difference is the ingredients - either just peanuts or peanuts and all kinds of chemicals. 

I am not sure why I think the snack needs to be dry and non-perishable - the fridge at work is just a few steps away, but too many raw veggies can lead to digestive issues, and I eat mass quantities of them at lunchtime.

• Heart 1

I found away around stress eating.. when life gets you down you get mad and throw something.. it makes you feel better.. now lets say someone makes you mad... give them an "you fine sir are an idiot" look and then kick them in the shin. if they swear at you pimp slap them in the head... 

This rule has always worked for me 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

They are perfect except they are loaded with fat and very addictive. 

Loaded with fat should make them more satisfying.  The other stuff is not so good, maybe go to Costco and TJ's and get a bunch of walnuts, pecans, and cashews, unsalted.  The unsalted part makes them less likely to all get eaten, and you will only eat them when actually hungry.

• Heart 1

Loaded with fat should make them more satisfying.  The other stuff is not so good, maybe go to Costco and TJ's and get a bunch of walnuts, pecans, and cashews, unsalted.  The unsalted part makes them less likely to all get eaten, and you will only eat them when actually hungry.

I do that when we go to BJs, but lately I figure the cheaper peanuts are fine for me.  The salted taste SO much mo better, but I think the salt is the main culprit, so I have to kick the habit.  Oh well, I kicked caffeine, so maybe I can do it.

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Cottage cheese is ok, right?

I don't know, dairy isn't so great either.  Never checked the total carbs for it as I can't stomach it...

34 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I snack on nuts too, they are a mixed bag.  They are calorie dense so not ideal for weight loss but they don't spike my glucose either.  We get the mixed nuts with no peanuts nor Brazil nuts, it's the bomb but pricey so  I also get regular salted peanuts and snack on those too.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

I found away around stress eating.. when life gets you down you get mad and throw something.. it makes you feel better.. now lets say someone makes you mad... give them an "you fine sir are an idiot" look and then kick them in the shin. if they swear at you pimp slap them in the head... 

This rule has always worked for me 

My employer aka boss aka CEO is the source.   No sure I can do  that to him 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My employer aka boss aka CEO is the source.   No sure I can do  that to him 

Sure you can.. just use extra pimp hand powder and hit a little harder. Them CEO's are a little dumber then normal people.

• Haha 1

Please send me $450 so I can sign up for the 8 week mindfulness stress reduction class at the UofMN...and I will share whatever I learn with you!! :P

So...my serious answer is small steps to a different response... can you respond by walking up 3 flight of steps instead of eating?....can't leave your desk? maybe some breathing exercises at your desk...  You are still reacting to the stress...just figure out a better reaction than food (or drink)  Again...someone suggested "Atomic Habits" to me... he has info online to jamesclear.com  you may get better direction from the book than me.

• Haha 1

I probably can relate to this whole thread more than you know.  First it was the booze, then it was the smokes, and then it was the food.  Perhaps the most difficult one is the latter because eating food is a necessity and tied to a lot of socializing in this country.  And, be honest, a pint of ice cream is perhaps the greatest comfort food out there. I've given them all up and am moving in the right direction in all three phases. Well, not just moving, I have moved on in the first two but the food battle is still in progress and it's going to be a long process.  It's all a big process.  It never stops.  I'm pretty sure it's all tied with how one feels inside.  Changing your behavior is the hardest thing out there.  Keep it up J. You're worthy.