Time

petitepedal

Just not enough of it...I really want another day between Saturday and Sunday  AND 2 more hours between 7 and 9 PM

Had a 6:30pm meeting last night went to 7:45pm.... came home and punched out an invite and dinner :wacko:  I like a little relaxation down time between dinner and bed...ha hahahaha ha ha.... Not happening....Also my only workout was Sunday morning.... next week I have a meeting on Monday and a hair appointment on Thursday...hopefully I will get at least 3 gym sessions in....

Now try to slip in the holiday extra stuff....some of it I have to participate in.... this is just too much fun :angry:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Instead of messing around with daylight savings time which everyone hates why don’t they try an eight day week or a thirty hour day?

I like the idea of 13 months each with four 7-day weeks. That would be 364 days. The extra 1 or 2 days could be the New Years holiday at the beginning of the year. That way the first day of the month would always be a Monday. Just think - your birthday would always fall on the same day of the week!

The 13th month should be named Jeromeber.

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I like the idea of 13 months each with four 7-day weeks. That would be 364 days. The extra 1 or 2 days could be the New Years holiday at the beginning of the year. That way the first day of the month would always be a Monday. Just think - your birthday would always fall on the same day of the week!

The 13th month should be named Jeromeber.

That sounds like it might work. Better than my suggestions anyway. My other suggestions were metric time and a metric calendar. Trying to figure out how those would work will make your head explode.

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That sounds like it might work. Better than my suggestions anyway. My other suggestions were metric time and a metric calendar. Trying to figure out how those would work will make your head explode.

That would make the monthter 36.5 days long and there would be 10 of them.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

Who hates daylight savings time? Being able to ride in daylight until 9:30 in the summer is awesome. 

It doesn’t give you any more daylight, it just steals it from the beautiful morning rides so you have to use your lights in the morning when it should be daylight.

Time is such a troubling thing - even to scientists.  Nature is symmetrical - and a violation of that led Einstein to the Theory of Relativity.

For a right there's a left, up a down, forward a backward, positive electricity a negative, north magnetic pole a south, etc. etc. etc.

So, just as when you forgot to pick up something on your left, you can go back to your left and get it, if you forgot to turn the frying pan off before you burned the burgers you should be able to go back in time and turn it off.  Nature is symmetical: to forward time there must be a backward time.

So why can't we access the backward time part?

In his New York Times bestseller, A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking explained time without using a single equation!  He says that Entropy is the arrow of time.

Entropy is a measure of disorder: a beach sandcastle is more likely to erode to flat sand than flat sand being shaped into a sandcastle by nature. Things are more likely to spread apart than clump together, etc.

Ever since the Big Bang, the universe has been expanding.  This is likely to be part of reason the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics says the Entropy of a closed active system always increases.  Because Entropy always increases, we always see time moving forward, according to Hawking.

BUT...Scientists now estimate there is sufficient mass in the universe to eventually stop the expansion - 10's of billions of years from now - and the universe will begin contracting, ultimately going back to a small ball from which the next Big Bang will occur.

So, while the universe is contracting, will time go backward and will we go through the reverse of what we're doing now, getting continually younger and stupider?

6 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Time is such a troubling thing - even to scientists.  Nature is symmetrical - and a violation of that led Einstein to the Theory of Relativity.

For a right there's a left, up a down, forward a backward, positive electricity a negative, north magnetic pole a south, etc. etc. etc.

So, just as when you forgot to pick up something on your left, you can go back to your left and get it, if you forgot to turn the frying pan off before you burned the burgers you should be able to go back in time and turn it off.  Nature is symmetical: to forward time there must be a backward time.

So why can't we access the backward time part?

In his New York Times bestseller, A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking explained time without using a single equation!  He says that Entropy is the arrow of time.

Entropy is a measure of disorder: a beach sandcastle is more likely to erode to flat sand than flat sand being shaped into a sandcastle by nature. Things are more likely to spread apart than clump together, etc.

Ever since the Big Bang, the universe has been expanding.  This is likely to be part of reason the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics says the Entropy of a closed active system always increases.  Because Entropy always increases, we always see time moving forward, according to Hawking.

BUT...Scientists now estimate there is sufficient mass in the universe to eventually stop the expansion - 10's of billions of years from now - and the universe will begin contracting, ultimately going back to a small ball from which the next Big Bang will occur.

So, while the universe is contracting, will time go backward and will we go through the reverse of what we're doing now, getting continually younger and stupider?

Time is not a thing.  It is an artificial concept that we put on our perceptions.  There is now, this instant that is constantly renewing itself.  There are our memories of things that used to be now.  There are expectations of what now might be .  The idea of "time" flowing from past to future may not be real at all.  

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Time is not a thing.  It is an artificial concept that we put on our perceptions.  There is now, this instant that is constantly renewing itself.  There are our memories of things that used to be now.  There are expectations of what now might be .  The idea of "time" flowing from past to future may not be real at all.  

Time is not artificial. It's an intensive property that has a physical quantity. The Basic Physical Quantities are: length, time, mass, charge and temperature.

For example, force is certainly not artificial and the amount of force that occurs when one thing smashes into another is mass x distance/time/time.

Just now, MickinMD said:

Time is not artificial.

The measurement of time is artificial - aside from a calendar year.  The calendar part is manmade.  the monthly part is manmade.  The weekly part is manmade.  the daily part......

And what's so special about 60 anyway?

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Time is not artificial. It's an intensive property that has a physical quantity. The Basic Physical Quantities are: length, time, mass, charge and temperature.

For example, force is certainly not artificial and the amount of force that occurs when one thing smashes into another is mass x distance/time/time.

Semantics.

Time, the way we chop things up, is an illusion. There is only Space-Time, and that's a variable, not a constant.