can you avoid shingles

Digital_photog

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I want a metal roof.  It's going to cost me though.  Along with that synthetic deck.

Ours cost over $30,000 with the removal of the slate roof put on when the house was built in 1862 and some rafter and deck repair.  The good part is it won't need to be done again in our lifetime.

1 minute ago, Digital_photog said:

Ours cost over $30,000 with the removal of the slate roof put on when the house was built in 1862 and some rafter and deck repair.  The good part is it won't need to be done again in our lifetime.

My roof is not pressing to be replaced but I 'roughly' figured that a metal replacement would be about $20K here.  

A friend of mine was the sub-contractor working with my contractor on the porches and decks. I asked the contractor about putting on the roof while he was here and he passed me off to the sub. He said he had lots of work and those other guys work for half as much per hour. I had them measure the roof and I went and bought the metal. They had it on in two days.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

I was under the impression that the life of a slate roof is around thirty years before needing attention. How does this compare to that of a metal roof?  Here, houses with slate roofs cost more than those roofed with other materials.

Slate should last 100 years or more. Lots of abandoned old houses still standing with slate roofs. Abandoned houses with assfault shingles self destruct in about twenty years around here.

• Heart 1