Sardines

Dottleshead

So it's been almost 4 months that I've mainly turned to a vegan diet.  But I've recently added sardines to my diet.  It's not that much sat fat and because they are on the bottom of the fish food chain, they have very little mercury.  In other words, they are healthy for you and provide a lot of nutrition that I would otherwise have to watch carefully or subsidize with supplements.  Like B12 and calcium and protein.  The point is I used to think it was effing disgusting eating little fishies out of a can.  But, man, was I wrong!  I don't mind admitting that most of the reason I didn't eat them was purely psychological.  They're little fishes with their heads cut off for gawd's sake.  In a can.  But I find that they are an incredibly tasty, healthy snack.  Anybody else eat these monsters?  Can anybody else stand up and admit they eat canned sardines and/or herring?

50 minutes ago, late said:

Very Keto.

I have a can of Med Style sardines 3 or 4 times a week, always with an Omega 3. Usually with some macadamia nuts, for the Omega 7.

Yeah.  I eat walnuts and almonds a lot.  I'm more vegan but some Keto is good.  :)

By the way, the last i read -- Omega's weren't as good for you as previously thought.  But I just happen to believe eating seafood has always been part of man's DNA so obviously so either omegas really are good for you or it's something else they don't know about yet.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

They make good nutrition to take on the bike except for the dang can. Usually on the bike I go for salmon or tuna in foil packs. If you are riding where there are trash cans the sardines are ok, I don’t want to carry empty sardine cans around in my pocket all day.

Why do you hate katz?  :(

I used to eat sardines as a kid, not now, no way, no how!  Too darn yucky!

3gfMrOI.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

Yeah.  I eat walnuts and almonds a lot.  I'm more vegan but some Keto is good.  :)

By the way, the last i read -- Omega's weren't as good for you as previously thought.  But I just happen to believe eating seafood has always been part of man's DNA so obviously so either omegas really are good for you or it's something else they don't know about yet.

It's complicated. For one thing, your body uses what it has the most of, so when you take an Omega 3 before having a hot fudge brownie sundae, guess what...

Another thing, Omega 3 pills are not all the same, some are a lot better than others.

Omega 7 is not common, you have to go out of your way to get a good slug from food.

• Sea buckthorn.
  • Macadamia oil.
  • Dandelion oil.
  • Avocado oil.
  • Pomegranate oil.
  • Tuna.
  • Salmon.
  • Sardines.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

If I'm lazy and don't prepare supper, I have occasionally eaten sardines from a tin. Hopefully with something else on the side. I like them in spring water or least amount of oil.

I understand the real fresh sardines when in Portugal or Spain, are totally different and delicious.

I occasionally get sardines from Spain and Portugal. They are ok, a different species from what you usually see.

Europe has some wonderful canned seafood, with a price to match. You will have a european or Italian grocer in your area, find it and see what you think.

8 minutes ago, late said:

I occasionally get sardines from Spain and Portugal. They are ok, a different species from what you usually see.

Europe has some wonderful canned seafood, with a price to match. You will have a european or Italian grocer in your area, find it and see what you think.

I have tried and bought Italian canned sardines since we do have a good Italian grocer in our area. The only thing to be careful is the amount of salt. 

Grampie would make a sardine sammich. Sometimes I have one and think fondly of the days I crawled up behind him (as he sat in his rocking chair)..and snapped his suspenders :nodhead:  Sardines..packed in oil..mashed and add a tich of vinegar...back in the day served on white bread...now I might just mash em and eat em.

We occasionally make an open faced grilled sardine sandwich, it's an old Joy of Cooking recipe. If you ever decide to get a Joy of Cooking, get one at least 20 years old. I don't like the new version at all.

It's quite good, and doesn't taste or smell like sardines.

Mush the sardines with mayo (or salad dressing or butter, the recipe calls for butter), add a tsp (or more) lemon juice,  and a tsp of of minced onion. You can't leave the onion out, it's crucial. Add 1/2 tsp of a good mustard.

Lightly toast some bread, a baguette is ideal. Spread the sardine mix on the toast and grill until hot. You can garnish with all sorts of things, I like spring onion, but we rarely get that ambitious. It's plenty good just the way it is.

• Heart 3

4 hours ago, late said:

It's complicated. For one thing, your body uses what it has the most of, so when you take an Omega 3 before having a hot fudge brownie sundae, guess what...

Another thing, Omega 3 pills are not all the same, some are a lot better than others.

Omega 7 is not common, you have to go out of your way to get a good slug from food.

• Sea buckthorn.
  • Macadamia oil.
  • Dandelion oil.
  • Avocado oil.
  • Pomegranate oil.
  • Tuna.
  • Salmon.
  • Sardines.

Correct.