How warm do you keep your house?

Road Runner

5 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

automatic thermostat.  67 morning and evening.  62 during the day when we usually aren't in the house.  57 night.  weekends if we are sitting around we may turn it up to 65-67 during the day.

Do you have gas heat?  I have a heat pump.  The manufacturer doesn't recommend turning the thermostat up by more than 1 or 2 degrees at a time.  

I wish I had gas heat.

22 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Do you have gas heat?  I have a heat pump.  The manufacturer doesn't recommend turning the thermostat up by more than 1 or 2 degrees at a time.  

I wish I had gas heat.

If you change the temp upward with a heat pump too fast, the resistance heating might kick in and that gets expensive fast. Just leave the thermostat set to one temp unless you are going on vacation for a few days.

• Heart 1

Just now, JerrySTL said:

If you change the temp upward with a heat pump too fast, the resistance heating might kick in and that gets expensive fast. Just leave the thermostat set to one temp unless you are going on vacation for a few days.

Yes.  That is what I do, except I will crank it one degree on occasion if I am cold.  Usually 64-65 at night and 65-66 during the day.  No big swings.  

I have also read that turning up the thermostat by several degrees on a regular basis causes the system to work much than normal and may adversely affect the long term system reliability and life expectancy.

I don’t have a thermostat, I like it warm so I keep the furnace loaded. When I was reading this thread I went over to look at the thermometer on the other side of the room. It is 81° right now. Sometimes if I get it much above 90 we open some windows. My wife has been cold most of the time since her last round of treatments.

outside temp is a cool 24°

• Heart 1

I keep it in the upper 60's or low 70's...not 100% sure..it is usually below the "comfort zone" on the thermostat or on the very low end of it...depends on if it gets below zero or if it is damp..then I might put it up a bit..I do not like it too hot...I have however noticed that at work...the older the resident..the warmer they like it..It is just nasty hot in some of those apartments...

Here..my apartment is probably cooler than the garage...:wacko: (one of my pet peeves) the hallways are also hotter than my apartment...

Lived with some folks who kept their house way cool..since the 70's energy crisis...said they noticed that their kids got sick less..with a cooler house!

• Heart 1

72 in the day, 65 at night. Our thermostat is at the warm end of the house so it's more like 68-70 in the family room. The add-on family room is great except it was not set up with an air return to the HVAC. I understand it would have been expensive, but would have been easier to do then rather than now! 

Depends how much wood I put on the fire. We just got home after being gone all day. It’s 25 degrees outside and 72 in the living room. It does stay about 5-10 degrees cooler in our bedroom. We only use our furnace in the fall and spring when it’s not cold enough to keep a fire but cool enough to need some heat. Then we usually turn it up to 65.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Zackny said:

Depends how much wood I put on the fire. We just got home after being gone all day. It’s 25 degrees outside and 72 in the living room. It does stay about 5-10 degrees cooler in our bedroom. 

This is the way it was when I was a kid.  We had a coal furnace in the living room and the bedrooms stayed much cooler.  Actually a pretty good system.   :)

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

This is the way it was when I was a kid.  We had a coal furnace in the living room and the bedrooms stayed much cooler.  Actually a pretty good system.   :)

We grew up with a wood stove. Much the same story. Our home now has a wood stove. We stopped using it when YDoW developed asthma symptoms. We could use it again, now that she is in AZ. Just need to get back in the habit!