It was bound to happen.

tybeegb

Bicycle crash.  Three in the line.  Me pulling.  One guy dropped back about 50 yards due to shifting issues.  I started to pull out and signaled that I was pulling off to the left.  The wheel on the guy behind me caught my rear tire and down we went.  Very quickly.  I heard the tires rubbing and tried to correct but he was already on the way down.  As was I.  I landed on my right side and my head bashed into the asphalt and I heard my helmet crunch.  My hip was already numb and I could not get up.  At all.  The other guy was walking around with a nauseous expression apologizing and said he thought his collar bone was broken.  Which it was.  

A couple of ladies in a SUV stopped and gave me and the fourth guy a lift back to our trucks.  We then went back and got the other two guys and the bikes.  I proceeded home and WofTy got there a little later and drove me to the hospital.  I have a broken acetabulum (hip) on the right side, and the ball socket is cracked in a 'Y' shape.  My ribs on the right side are pretty bruised and it hurts to cough, naturally.

I stayed in the hospital overnight because they were pretty sure I needed surgery.  But, late yesterday afternoon the orthopedic doctor said that the bones were still aligned but to go home and take it easy and I would have to come back later next week to see if they were still aligned, which if they are I would just have to let everything heal by itself, possibly 10-12 weeks.  If not, then he would give me my surgery options.

Going to be a long 10 -12 weeks.  And I hate pain meds but in this case I have I have to give in.  :speedy:

Oh.  I was puling out because my speed was slowly dropping from 18/19 to 16/17.  So were ONLY going 16 when we crashed.  The third guy ran over the second guys bike and bent the rear wheel.  So he might get new wheels and I will get a new helmet.   I'm going back to bed.  

• Sad 12

So sorry to hear.  Makes me cringe just reading this.  Hoping for the best for your hip.  I broke my pelvis in 2014, but no surgery was needed.  Just lots of pain and rehab. 

A big reason I ride alone.  As much as I go down by myself, riding in a group would be disastrous.  

Prayers for healing and comfort.  Sorry brother.  Met an airforce guy at Home Depot this past weekend.  He was in warfare readiness.  Had been stationed all over the world.  Told him I knew a a guy that worked on the planes that flew his stuff all over the world.    

Oh man! Crashes suck! Heal quickly! 

There are riders in our group that I trust implicity. Others I give a lot of room. When I pull off the front, it's a very distinct motion so they know I'm not just going around a pothole or something. Luckily, my only incident with another rider was due to a miscommunication. We were supposed to turn right. The guy in front of me thought we were going straight. He thought the guy in front was just pulling out to go home so my front overlapped his back and we both went down. Bent my rear derailleur and scarred me up a lot including a black eye that looked like half a super hero mask! 

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Oh crap!  PBR instead of pain meds?

So can you walk to get to the restroom and such?  Will you have to stay in bed for the next few months?

I can SLOWLY get in and out of bed, and in and out of chairs.  I have crutches and I can SLOWLY move to the bathroom, or use my pee bottle.  As for PBR?  I will have to forego that vice until I can walk around steady enough to not risk falling.  

Thanks for all the well wishes.  It helps.   

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

...bummer. :(  I, too, ride alone, partly for this reason.  Don't push it on the recovery.  Aging slows all that stuff down, and it's a huge mistake to force the process.  I don't know if you swim for exercise, but if not, later on would be a good time to experiment with it.  Boribng as hell swimming laps, but low or no impact, and it's good cross training for bicycling.

• Heart 1

Now, down the road a few weeks this might turn out to be a positive.  When you hobble into the permit ladies office for the next permit she might feel sympathetic after seeing the crutches.

Of course the down side is that you're going to need a permit for the crutches in public due to their inherent danger to others.

Darn. Just follow my motto "every silver lining has a cloud".

• Heart 2