Slightly unaware of his role and impact

shootingstar

Yesterday dearie joined  a memorial bike ride for a cycling advocate who died after he fell off his bike over a wk. ago. (He broke his neck and had a heart attack. He was 73 yrs.).  There were 70 cyclists, it made front page news photos and article. 

I queried dearie.  A number of cyclists came up to him because they recognized him.  But it took awhile for him to remember them because he hadn't seen some folks for last few years/they were harder to recognize in their cycling gear.

I think they went to speak to him.....because he is well-known for some the cycling advocacy work he's done in various organizations (with the same guy who just died).  

So it's dearie (@75) and 1 other cycling advocate (who will be 80 next wk.), left as part of Metro Vancouver's cycling advocacy history and current work also.  Dearie is still active in this area...he's just a little tired of some internal politics.  He's slowly has been withdrawing in past few years.  The online accounting for his son does take time.....and then there's me, to do stuff when I'm not working. :) 

49 minutes ago, Airehead said:

The passage of time, so bittersweet.

When I heard of the cycling advocate's death, I couldn't help but think of my dearie.  It upset me at that time, because of that...because I realize dearie isn't going to be around forever either.

We've been together for last 27 yrs.....and I have seen the evolution of his work /effort for Toronto, then Vancouver. Several advocates in Calgary know him also since he has come to the city to speak.

At a personal level, in cycling, I wouldn't have learned as much or travelled as far cycling in the cities where we've lived and travelled outside for vacation, it weren't for him.  True love is when a person individually becomes better and understand sides of themselves that they never thought possible while they share a life together.

• Heart 2
  • Envious 1

On 12/9/2018 at 3:31 PM, shootingstar said:

True love is when a person individually becomes better and understand sides of themselves that they never thought possible while they share a life together.

I do enjoy it when you talk of your husband in such a caring way. When a friend of mine was getting married for the fourth time (such courage and he in his seventies) I wrote this in celebration of the event.

A Modest Wish

I do not wish you unbroken unhappiness

for that would offend the Gods

yet good will still demands a voice

so let it ask for this.....

may you find completeness in your sharing

so that in giving up some part of you

each to the other and gladly given

both become much more than before

In this endeavour there is much quiet courage...

hearts exchanged in trust so absolute may bruise easily

yet it is done...proof that still the human spirit rises

indomitable....undefeated....and demanding of respect.

• Awesome 1