Misery loves company

Dirtyhip

Helped my husband put the studded tires on our commuter bikes.  

Unheated garage + freezing temps = frozen hands and stinging fingers

We have a pair of Klondike tires that are almost worn out, but still have a smidge of life.  They are a bitch to put on.  I hope those tires die this season.  The pair I have is much more pliable and easier to put on.

I really envy those that have a heated garage.  

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Helped my husband put the studded tires on our commuter bikes.  

Unheated garage + freezing temps = frozen hands and stinging fingers

We have a pair of Klondike tires that are almost worn out, but still have a smidge of life.  They are a bitch to put on.  I hope those tires die this season.  The pair I have is much more pliable and easier to put on.

I really envy those that have a heated garage.  

Could be worse. I don't have a garage.  At one time I had a carport but that's the sun porch/screen room now.  I do keep the bikes out there most of the year but I don't heat it when the weather dips below freezing.

39 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

continental gatorskins are too, I had my LBS put them on this weekend

I have had Continental tires, both Gatorskins and 4000SIIs, go on easy, and some that were very hard to get on.  I find Gatorskins to have a harder ride, but I run them on my training bike since most often I am riding that bike when it is dark or raining.

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, dennis said:

I like 45nrth Nicotines and Gravdals. They mount pretty easily. I don't have a garage so I set up my work stand in the living room. The mess sucks. Stans sealant can get messy. 

NICOTINEGravdal 700c

I am running 700c on the bike I am speaking of.  There are two commuter bikes that I ride.  One is studded and the other is not.  Depending on what the weather does, I have a bike I can ride to work.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, az_cyclist said:

I have had Continental tires, both Gatorskins and 4000SIIs, go on easy, and some that were very hard to get on.  I find Gatorskins to have a harder ride, but I run them on my training bike since most often I am riding that bike when it is dark or raining.

I honestly cannot tell the difference between tire brands or models. I must be the odd one :wacko: I hear from other people that "those roll slow" "these roll this way" meh, I can't tell :D I like gatorskins for puncture resistance.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I honestly cannot tell the difference between tire brands or models. I must be the odd one :wacko: I hear from other people that "those roll slow" "these roll this way" meh, I can't tell :D I like gatorskins for puncture resistance.

Since I don’t get flats I haven’t tried Gatorskins. If I did I would certainly give them a try. I seem to be the only one riding Bontrager Racelight Hardcase tires.

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Since I don’t get flats I haven’t tried Gatorskins. If I did I would certainly give them a try. I seem to be the only one riding Bontrager Racelight Hardcase tires.

Gatorskins offer a certain amount of flat protection, but not to metal or glass.  They are a bit more expensive.  in the past Continental sidewalls have been somewhat weak, and of course sidewall cuts cannot (should not) be booted. Gatorskins are a bit more expensive, maybe $10 per tire. 

1 minute ago, az_cyclist said:

Gatorskins offer a certain amount of flat protection, but not to metal or glass.  They are a bit more expensive.  in the past Continental sidewalls have been somewhat weak, and of course sidewall cuts cannot (should not) be booted. Gatorskins are a bit more expensive, maybe $10 per tire. 

I’ve looked at Gatorskins online. They are less than what I pay at my LBS but I never looked at what I could get my tires for if I bought them online. I see no reason to run cheap tires. It’s just asking for trouble.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

I would never be able to survive. 

❄️

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I like working on bikes in the house whenever possible, too.

Is the new house going to have a heated garage, DH?

Possibly.  This is uncertain.  For sure it will be insulated.  We can run a space heater, but we didn't bother this time, as the entire process took about 30 minutes for two bikes.

The new area is a bit warmer.  Freezing temps are more rare.

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

❄️

Possibly.  This is uncertain.  For sure it will be insulated.  We can run a space heater, but we didn't bother this time, as the entire process took about 30 minutes for two bikes.

The new area is a bit warmer.  Freezing temps are more rare.

Just curious, do you find the tires more difficult to work with in a cold environment, compared to a heated area and warmer tires?

8 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Just curious, do you find the tires more difficult to work with in a cold environment, compared to a heated area and warmer tires?

This is probably a thing as well.  We don't install them in warmer seasons.  However, the other pair we have went on in a snap.  So, two sets of tires.  One pair was easily workable and one pair was not.  

None of the studded tires we have bought have been cheapo tires.  Some brands are better than others.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is probably a thing as well.  We don't install them in warmer seasons.  However, the other pair we have went on in a snap.  So, two sets of tires.  One pair was easily workable and one pair was not.  

None of the studded tires we have bought have been cheapo tires.  Some brands are better than others.

For sure on the brands, and also the tire rim combination can vary greatly on ease of mounting.  I am speaking strictly from road wheels and tires, from some time ago. I've had some go on so easily, that I worried that they would stay on the rim.?