Can you make amends?

Airehead

Robert is a man I have been lucky enough to do a couple of ultra marathons with-- at midnight there are interesting conversations, I found this article equally thought provoking.   A worthy read    ---- someone pease tell me how to insert a link

• Heart 1

The scary thing is that in many ways he didn't do anything worse than a lot of people who were just lucky enough to not have the consequences.  I don't really think you can make amends in that context, you can never put things "right".  But you can do the best you can to have a positive contribution in the world and to help other people avoid the same mistake.  That's certainly more admirable than giving in to the pity.

• Heart 1

It's hard to make amends when you've caused damage that can't be reversed. Forgiveness and setting a good example and doing good deeds as in the OP link are the best that may occur.

I, a non-Jew, admire very much the Jewish religion's holiest day of the year, Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, which includes repentance and apologies to people you have done wrong. It seems to me that a lot of friendships - including those in some families - would be strengthened and preserved better if we all took part in such a day each year.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

I wonder, how did he not commit suicide?  I appears he had no wife or children at the time.

Not that there is an equivalency, but I wonder the same thing about Bernie Madoff.

Suicide, heavy drugs, or adopting a different philosophy where the usual options in a situation like this.  I think that many would split the options among the path he took or the "fuck everybody" route and eventually just not care about other humans at all.  

Lots of humans are reprehensible anyway, I suppose it wouldn't be a stretch for some to look at others as no better than themselves as a defense mechanism.  I like the route he took, and wonder how many near misses we have all had.   I think it is often just luck of the draw that we didn't hit somebody in a car when we were younger and dumber and more careless.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I like the route he took,

Yes.  It's the very best that could have happened.  I just don't know how he was able to make it to that point.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think it is often just luck of the draw that we didn't hit somebody in a car when we were younger and dumber and more careless.

I suppose.

9 hours ago, Goat Geddah said:

I wonder, how did he not commit suicide?  I appears he had no wife or children at the time.

Not that there is an equivalency, but I wonder the same thing about Bernie Madoff.

I think prison was what prevented the suicide. They took away his freedom to kill himself with constant survelance.  I believe the night of the crash he went to lock up and never had a free day from jail to,prison.