You should have some ham, you know.

Randomguy

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Did ham used to be more popular?

Ham is good, you would have to be a vegan or a fool if you don't eat it occasionally.

I would say, yes, it was more popular with my grandmother's generation.  She loved her Smithfield ham.

The white meat thing is a marketing smoke screen!

Occasionally is aboot right.

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

Or Jewish or Muslim or......

Those are trifling excuses, not reasons.  It is foolish for religion to try and tell you what to eat and when, except Christmas cookies.  I like that the church goes out of its way to tell us that Jesus ate cookies every Christmas since he was one or two years old, mostly Russian teacakes and frosted Christmas trees.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

One of my favorite things to put into my mouth and grind up with my teeth and mix with my saliva and swallow into my gullet is some nice left over spiral sliced honey baked ham that has been cooked in a skillet to warm it up and then served on toasted bread with a bit of american cheese and some yellow mustard.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

One of my favorite things to put into my mouth and grind up with my teeth and mix with my saliva and swallow into my gullet is some nice left over spiral sliced honey baked ham that has been cooked in a skillet to warm it up and then served on toasted bread with a bit of american cheese and some yellow mustard.

That would be fried ham.  Fried ham sucks.  Microwave that puppy before making the sandwich.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Wow.  Evolution has left you completely behind.  

Contraire good sir. It has allowed be to have refined enough taste to distinguish between well cooked food and stuff thrown in a pan and burned on the outside to simulate cooking.

19 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Ham is good, you would have to be a vegan or a fool if you don't eat it occasionally.

Note that it's forbidden by the religions of 1/4 of the world's people.

I love it.  I just bought a 12 oz. package of 6 round ham slices at Aldi, a package of round, sandwich-sized, onion rolls, and I'm going to make my own McMuffin knockoff tomorrow with a slice of hot ham, a scrambled egg incorporating a little diced onion, garlic powder, shredded sharp cheddar cheese and salsa, all encased in an onion roll instead of a much smaller muffin. I have those rubber rings you can put right on the frying pan and pour the egg mixture in it to keep it round.  It's a lot more egg than in a McMuffin!

When I was an industrial research chemist, a fellow chemist named Aziz was a Muslim from Pakistan who was not religious at all.  Every so often, our research group would send someone out at lunchtime to pick up pork BBQ subs from a great local restaurant.

Aziz would never taste one.  I asked him why he wouldn't eat pork, since he wasn't religious.  He said, "It's sort of how you're brought up and the culture gets ingrained in your brain. I would be like someone inviting you to eat dog meat."

8 hours ago, donkpow said:

It's been a very long time ago that I heard this. The wisdom behind not eating pork was related to a particularly dangerous, to humans, parasite.

Trichanosis! It's an infection caused by the roundworm Trichinella spiralis that is often found poorly kept pork.

I'm sure it was the reason it was banned in the Middle Eastern religions.

Today, it's not a problem and pork needs to be cooked to a lower temperature than beef or poultry to be safe, 140-145F.

• Awesome 1

On 12/11/2018 at 3:33 AM, Randomguy said:

Wilbur just starts posting again and you say something like THIS?!

• Heart 2
  • Envious 1

I had my McMuffin-on-steroids today and it was superb: a 2 oz. slice of hot ham, a scrambled egg incorporating a little garlic powder, shredded sharp cheddar cheese and salsa, all encased in an soft, round onion roll instead of a much smaller muffin.  It's a lot more egg and meat than in a McMuffin!