How is your job search going....

Green Grass

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I've been trying to search for retirements, but people keep calling me and offering more money. I've changed employers twice in the last 12 months and picked up 25% in raises. Suddenly my antiquated skills are in hot demand.

Who knew BASIC would become popular again??

• Haha 2
  • Envious 2

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Will start looking soon.  There is a transition program for troubled youth.  It might be fun to see if they would hire me to teach biking.

And I was going to say - troubled yes, youth.... maybe not.  Then you added that last sentence.

6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I think there is a C glitch coming up in 2038 if he can;t wait that long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

"representing time in many digital systems as the number of seconds passed since 1 January 1970 and storing it as a signed 32-bit binary integer."

Who does that?

We just picked up a new client - good sized manufacturer of parts for Honda USA.  We're moving their application base to a cloud offering and then helping them maintain the code.  75% of it is Cobol.  We really don't see that anymore.  We also don't have a lot of Cobol talent.

• Heart 1

I used to love watching the Y2K workers flying home every weekend from Orlando.  Generally the were dressed in suits, women included, traveled in groups of 3 or more and were perky nebishes.  We would all ride the bus from the Hertz lot into the airport where they would dutifully line up at the skycap station (pre 911) and think themselves pretty smart to avoid the lines at the ticket counter.  I would smile politely at them as I got off the bus in my Friday Hawaiian shirt and cargo jeans and then I would hand my bag to a sky cap that just materialized from behind a pillar so he could wisk me away to a hidden terminal.

I had one programmer ask me how I did that once and I replied that I got off the bus every friday at about the same time with my ticket folder in the pocket of my shirt along with 3 $1 bills peeking out and that I knew most of the skycaps at that station by name.  :nodhead:  It pays for your program to be well planned.

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Horrible.. I keep getting told I don't have the right look for being a crossdressing pole dancer.. something about hot chick/dudes don't have beards.. 

I'm call BS.. I think it's because I'm hotter then the other "chicks"

There’s a discrimination lawsuit in there somewhere.

• Heart 1

I'm good with my current job.  It's not nearly as stressful as the last job but I can tell this line of work is taking years off my life.  Oh well, die you and die stupid I guess.

The first of the year, I'm visiting the local community college.  I plan on enrolling in some math classes.  

Couch

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Congrats - you'll love living in Indy.  All the cool peeps live in Carmel.

I met the President yesterday. He knows I’m not relocating. He said I should plan to do the quarterly meeting I will run in person. Plus there are about 25 locations throughout the world I’ll be visiting. My next two trips are Mississippi and Montréal. 

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I met the President yesterday. He knows I’m not relocating. He said I should plan to do the quarterly meeting I will run in person. Plus there are about 25 locations throughout the world I’ll be visiting. My next two trips are Mississippi and Montréal. 

My nephew lives in Buffalo and is graduating this weekend.  Can he have your old job?  Does it matter if he's not qualified?

• Heart 1

I have been in this gig for 3 years. My field is not know for longevity. Prob about time to start looking. I would love to land a stay at home gig. But if nothing else an offer from a perspective employer will help to negotiate some more monies from my current employer.