work retirement party- invite your spouse, children too

shootingstar

and mingle with employees??  She had her 2 grandchildren, daughter and her boyfriend also.

I wouldn't.  I could never expect dearie to enjoy with other employees who I work with.  

He has only attended 2 of my work related parties, which is pretty low since I've worked for a number of employers.

1. law firm dressy /formal Christmas party- tux was required for guys.  My darling nearly refused, so I offered to pay half of the rental.  He looks handsome in tux, since he has angular face, neat trim beard.  I wore s strapless black dress (which costed me only $50.00).  The guest speaker was a former Canadian national Prime Minister who used to work as a lawyer for the firm.

2. another Christmas party for a global German engineering firm where I worked.  Yes, of course, he could converse German, English at the table. We had interesting, good time.  By coincidence at the table, we sat at table with another interracial couple ..he German with good English  and she, a Chinese-American where she was trilingual:  German, English and and Chinese.  

When I retire, I would like to slip out quietly.  If they want to have a coffee with goodies ok.  But that's all. 

• Heart 2

I tried to slip out gracefully, indicating I had already received my awards while working.  My boss became very angry over this, and sent out an email indicating what they were going to do, and if I did not like it, I could toss the gifts in the garbage can as I left the room.  Only problem, he fouled up and included me in the email mailing.  Needless to say, that changed things, and I was able to go out fairly quietly, on a day he was out of town.:whistle:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I tried to slip out gracefully, indicating I had already received my awards while working.  My boss became very angry over this, and sent out an email indicating what they were going to do, and if I did not like it, I could toss the gifts in the garbage can as I left the room.  Only problem, he fouled up and included me in the email mailing.  Needless to say, that changed things, and I was able to go out fairly quietly, on a day he was out of town.:whistle:

Wow.  He might have seen it as an opportunity to make himself look better by having some magnaminous speech about you... or whatever.

I didn't live in town when my Dad retired, but I know at least my Mom was invited to his party (and I think my sisters were invited too).   At my current job, people who retire after a long career have either a dinner for their manager and a few friends  or a cocktail party for a larger group of coworkers, but in either case, spouses are generally invited.

• Heart 1

I attended a retirement for a beloved VP (he wasn't my boss but I really liked him).  Anyway he was allowed to bring his wife and two adult daughters to his retirement party. We also brought back former managers who worked for him and his client.  We all roasted him and it was a really fun night.  

But, that was the only one I've been to.  I worked in corporate America, people don't usually retire, they die in office, get cut loose for 3 lower paid people or just move on.  I know very few people who actually "retire" from corporate jobs.

I retired from the fire department and I was given a lapel pin and an honorary badge saying I'll always be part of that department.. I have no idea where the hell they are at now.. might have lost them in the few moves. Meh... I got a beautiful case of arthritis to remember my service by.

13 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Wow.  He might have seen it as an opportunity to make himself look better by having some magnaminous speech about you... or whatever.

Not really, as I would not have attended, even a light lunch, if he would have been there, and he knew that. Big  egos make for interesting situations.  Fellow knew he was right about most situations, and let this be known to all around him.?

17 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

My plan is to simply stop showing up at work. 

2 minutes ago, Zackny said:

My plan is to simply stop showing up at work. 

There is more to the story.  I actually had all the paper work done a year before I retired, known only to me and a fellow in Beltsville.  However, at my final annual review, we decided I would not do any field work, but would finish working with the small amount of data I had left and finish a few manuscripts.  That sounded good, so I contacted the fellow in Beltsville, and he kept my folder until the time was right.  The next year, when I decided on my departure date, I sent him an email asking him to begin the process again, and I carbon copied my boss.  Needless to say, it did not take long until I heard his footsteps coming down the hall.?