$100K: get picked and use old cellphone, not Smartphone for 1 year

MickinMD

Vitaminwater is running a contest where someone will be chosen to see if they can avoid using a smartphone for a year with a $100K prize and $10K if they last 6 months. You do get to use a provided 1996-era cellphone to make calls.  For Tracfone users like me that don't use half their 100 minutes/month, this is a piece of cake - though I'd have to go back to my 2"x2"x4" dual camera/camcorder for pictures.

Here's the story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/12/12/vitaminwater-smartphone-challenge-100-k-dollars/2298228002

Here's the vitaminwater link: https://www.vitaminwater.com/

Since I rarely have used Twitter (last post in 1995) and never Instagram - you need to send a message with one or the other to enter, I hope I got it right by simply ending my entry message with the two hashtags in the instructions below and a picture of me walking Jake.

post a photo to Twitter or Instagram telling vitaminwater® why you need a break from your smartphone. what would you do with all that time? go wild, be out there, and wow us. make sure to include hashtags #nophoneforayear and #contest.

guidelines to assist a successful transition

note: not legally binding. at all.

you may not use any smartphone for 365 days. if texting is a pleasant experience or you can get on the internet, it’s probably a smartphone.
    this means you may not physically operate, caress, hug or otherwise be physically affectionate with anyone’s smartphone.
    if you’re lying in bed and miss your phone, do not attempt to sneak a midnight scroll…just close your eyes and dream about vitaminwater®. that’s what we do. every night. and sometimes at the office.
you got this.

24 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I stay connected for work so couldn't do it.  I probably could if my work didn't require connectivity 24/7.    But then I'd be without my salary for a year... 

THIS.  If it didn't include work it would be a piece of cake.  

I do not even have a phone other than the work phone and I am required to be reachable 24/7 so need to be connected.  Once I retired, this would be simple

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Gawd, what a dumb promotion, I am shocked the media would pick up something with zero intrigue or sizzle.

Maybe they just know that their audience thrives on zero intrigue.  I mean, RR generated 22 responses to 'useless letters of the alphabet"

• Haha 2