Why do racehorses have to pee so much?

Road Runner

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Racehorses are given a diuretic, which is said to lessen nasal / lung bleeding which can happen when horses over exert themselves.  The diuretics make the horses urinate, a lot, before races.  We are talking buckets of urine here.  Hence the term, pee like a race horse.

The man knows his horse racing.

Degenerate gambler or medical technologist?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

The man knows his horse racing.

Degenerate gambler or medical technologist?

No, I love to read.  As a kid, I used to pull out the dictionary or encylopedia to research words or things I found while reading.   When the internet came along, I became a google master.  I wondered about this long ago, so I looked into it.

• Heart 1

The reason racehorses pee is that they are given the drug Lasix before they race to prevent nasal bleeding and it is a powerful diuretic that causes the horses to pee gallons.

They could also say "pee like an older man." As I traverse my way through my 60's, it's definitely more frequent.  A bunch of us men in our 60's and 70's joked about using a restroom, when out and about, whenever one is available whether you need it or not - if there's a chance you won't see another restroom for a while.

5 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The reason racehorses pee is that they are given the drug Lasix before they race to prevent nasal bleeding and it is a powerful diuretic that causes the horses to pee gallons.

They could also say "pee like an older man." As I traverse my way through my 60's, it's definitely more frequent.  A bunch of us men in our 60's and 70's joked about using a restroom, when out and about, whenever one is available whether you need it or not - if there's a chance you won't see another restroom for a while.

Lasix also amps up horses in a semi-doped manner so they run faster than normal by a small percentage.  For rigging the betting a bit, or so I was told by a horse trainer. 

5 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Lasix also amps up horses in a semi-doped manner so they run faster than normal by a small percentage.  For rigging the betting a bit, or so I was told by a horse trainer. 

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Have you tried sitting down when you pee?  I read an article that says that sitting may help to more fully empty the bladder of people suffering from BPH.

I have a really hard time peeing while siting, probably because my bladder is empty most of the time.

I started going to a chiropractor, of all people.  He's been working on leg, lower back, and abdominal muscles.  Lots of imbalances.  Really tight, way too tight.  Insane amounts of bladder pain the day after.  Today I'm sitting with a heating pad over my bladder hoping it will help.

Last week I was peeing blood most of Saturday.

Not sure what to make of this yet.  The fact that I am experiencing pain means he's affecting it in some way.  Good?  Bad?  I've seen so many people over the years that have said they could fix it, I've given up.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I've seen so many people over the years that have said they could fix it, I've given up.

Maybe you just haven't found the right doctor yet.  (doctor, not a chiropractor)

I have heard of people who suffered with various maladies for years but, eventually, they found a doctor who knew or understood their condition and fixed them.  

14 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have a really hard time peeing while siting, probably because my bladder is empty most of the time.

I started going to a chiropractor, of all people.  He's been working on leg, lower back, and abdominal muscles.  Lots of imbalances.  Really tight, way too tight.  Insane amounts of bladder pain the day after.  Today I'm sitting with a heating pad over my bladder hoping it will help.

Not sure what to make of this yet.  The fact that I am experiencing pain means he's affecting it in some way.  Good?  Bad?  I've seen so many people over the years that have said they could fix it, I've given up.

Don't you work at one of the top hospitals anywhere?  So THEY struck oot?  Don;t you have to go to the ER immediately for blood in the urine?  Have you ever had a urinary tract infection?

I would ask for your stuff but your bikes are too big for me.

13 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have heard that pegging helps. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Maybe you just haven't found the right doctor yet.  (doctor, not a chiropractor)

I have heard of people who suffered with various maladies for years but, eventually, they found a doctor who knew or understood their condition and fixed them.  

I saw a guy who's a little more Eastern medicine, he sent me to the chiropractor.  The fact that I am so imbalanced and super tight, and have amazing bladder pain the next next is making me curious at the least.  He's fairly convinced it's a pelvic floor issue.  Many others have told me this, none have been able to solve it.

10 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Don't you work at one of the top hospitals anywhere?  So THEY struck oot?  Don;t you have to go to the ER immediately for blood in the urine?  Have you ever had a urinary tract infection?

I would ask for your stuff but your bikes are too big for me.

I work at a Harvard teaching hospital.  I've seen two of the top urologists in the world.  One said "guess you'll have to live with it", the other said "I hope we can help you in the future".

Never had a UTI, had dozens of cultures.  If I went to the ER every time I had blood in my urine, I'd be broke.

I'll be dead soon, first come first serve.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have heard that pegging helps. 

You offering?

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I saw a guy who's a little more Eastern medicine, he sent me to the chiropractor.  The fact that I am so imbalanced and super tight, and have amazing bladder pain the next next is making me curious at the least.  He's fairly convinced it's a pelvic floor issue.  Many others have told me this, none have been able to solve it.

I work at a Harvard teaching hospital.  I've seen two of the top urologists in the world.  One said "guess you'll have to live with it", the other said "I hope we can help you in the future".

Never had a UTI, had dozens of cultures.  If I went to the ER every time I had blood in my urine, I'd be broke.

I'll be dead soon, first come first serve.

You offering?

I don’t think a guy can offer, it can only be your wife that offers. 

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

My guess is the gallons of pee also lighten the horses by 10-20 lbs. I had a couple cross country runners who would drink water like fish on hot days when we had meets and then had bad times.  It was a dilemma because if I told them to cut down on drinking water and they passed out in a race or showed symptoms that could be interpreted as dehydration, I'd be in big trouble even if water had nothing to do with their trouble.

So I told them to drink as much as they needed but not drink just to finish off a bottle of water or sports drink.