Electric Bike Kits

Dottleshead

So I'm considering buying an electrical bike for commute purposes only.  I live almost 40 miles out from my employer and I'm looking for a viable alternative to get to and from work. I want to be able to get to work faster, not as sweaty, and scale the rather large hills easier from where I now live. For the longest time, I never wanted to own one because I was/am afraid that any pedal assist may get to be addictive and force lazy habits.  I could see sometime decided to opt for the electrical bike rather than the regular bike for my long distance rides.  But because I don't use my bike now for commuting for the reason stated, if I owned an e-bike I probably would, decided to look into them.  I'm just starting my look now as I suspect I won't be in a financial position to make this investment until Spring.  

E-bikes in general are expensive but they do have 'kits' that you can buy to convert a bike already owned between $500 and another $200-$300 for a quality battery. The kits can be used on most bikes. As @ChrisL and I were talking, you can get more expensive and powerful kits out there but I think this guy in the link at the bottom would fit the bill.  It turns out there's quite a bit you to learn like throttle and pedal assist.  I found this local website that gives a great rundown on the whole process.

https://www.bicyclecentreseverett.com/articles/electric-bicycles-pg428.htm

The great thing about them is you can convert a secondary bike into an e-bike.  This is the kit I'm gravitating towards as of today:

https://www.amazon.com/BBS02-8fun-Bafang-Drive-bicycle/dp/B01LKYNJR0?tag=outdoorgearco2-20

Anybody out there have experience with buying/installing electrical components? Do you have any recommendations?

I like the way that one looks. Nobody was selling the mid drive units when I converted my wife’s bike. She has a hill topper kit on her bike. It’s easy installation, just remove your front wheel and replace it with the hill topper wheel. Plug in the wire and connect the battery and power button. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I like the way that one looks. Nobody was selling the mid drive units when I converted my wife’s bike. She has a hill topper kit on her bike. It’s easy installation, just remove your front wheel and replace it with the hill topper wheel. Plug in the wire and connect the battery and power button. 

Perfect!  At least SOMETHING is easy!

I installed a front hub motor on my wife's bike. Works great for the rides she uses it for, but the system I used is not what I would pick for a 40 mile commute. Handles like a tank with all that weight up front, and the 10ah battery pack would only get you half way, and you would have to pedal the remaining 20 miles on a 60 pound bike.

I also did a front hub conversion on the bike in this video. The front wheel weight wasn't as much of a factor there.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

7 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

I installed a front hub motor on my wife's bike. Works great for the rides she uses it for, but the system I used is not what I would pick for a 40 mile commute. Handles like a tank with all that weight up front, and the 10ah battery pack would only get you half way, and you would have to pedal the remaining 20 miles on a 60 pound bike.

I also did a front hub conversion on the bike in this video. The front wheel weight wasn't as much of a factor there.

That’s quite the bike. That trailer had some flex with that heavy load. I think I would inspect it often for stress cracks. The motor on my wife’s bike is much smaller and lighter than that one and doesn’t add much weight.

16 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

... but the system I used is not what I would pick for a 40 mile commute.

I would only ride back... and not every day... because it'd just take too long.  We have a 20 mph limit here in Washington state.  I mainly need it to use for the 5 miles of monster hills from my house to the transit center.

20 hours ago, Dottles said:

I would only ride back... and not every day... because it'd just take too long.  We have a 20 mph limit here in Washington state.  I mainly need it to use for the 5 miles of monster hills from my house to the transit center.

They were saying About $1800(pre-trade war) for the entry level model. How much are you expecting to pay for an e-bike?

16 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

At 24.5 lbs it might seem heavy for some but that's just fine in my world.  It is pricey however.

Yeah, agreed, except most electric bikes run about double that.  If you just got the kit, it and a battery are going to add at least 15 lbs to your bike.  If you buy a 'normal' electric bike, then the reinforced tubing and materials, etc pushes them up to almost 55 lbs or more. The buses out here have a requirement of 55 lbs or less and that definitely will be a requirement.

I may just get an electrical commuter and save my other bikes for long distant riding.  I really just need help for about 5-7 miles to get to the transit center.

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

Yeah, agreed, except most electric bikes run about double that.  If you just got the kit, it and a battery are going to add at least 15 lbs to your bike.  If you buy a 'normal' electric bike, then the reinforced tubing and materials, etc pushes them up to almost 55 lbs or more. The buses out here have a requirement of 55 lbs or less and that definitely will be a requirement.

I may just get an electrical commuter and save my other bikes for long distant riding.  I really just need help for about 5-7 miles to get to the transit center.

8.5 miles one way