So, are you a hard salami kind of person?

MoseySusan

So, are you a hard salami kind of person?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do you reach for on the party appetizer table?

• salami, cheese, crackers
    • little smokies in bourbon bbq sauce
    • crudite and artichoke dip
    • bacon wrapped anything, usually asparagus
    • stuffed mushrooms

13 minutes ago, groupw said:

All of the above is not an option?

This is what I thought.

My aunt always does the cocktail weenies in sauce, and although it is not sophisticated like crudite, they do get eaten, which is generally more than you can say for the crudite.  Deviled eggs, also good.

I am a sucker for mushrooms, though, good stuff (pun intended).

• Heart 1

I brought a easy peasy Reuben dip to my 2 hour condo appetizer based last night..boom..gone...

1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup thousand island...layer drained (they say rinsed but I like the flavor for Sauerkraut) and squeezed Sauerkraut on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish..16 oz I think, 1/2 a pound or corned beef and 16 oz of shredded swiss cheese..top with the mayo/thousand island stuff..bake at 350 for 25 to 30 min..serve with rye or pumpernickel..I use the little cocktail breads.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Sue, try wrapping asparagus with....prosciutto..it's lower fat and more elegant.  Proscuitto doesn't need cooking.

I don't control what other people bring to the buffet. I like proscuitto wrapped asparagus, though.  

I put bacon bits in my cream cheese stuffed jalapenos.

When I was young I loved all that tasty stuff full of nitrates, fat, salt and whatever. When I decided to try to eat healthy, live healthy I pretty much gave that up. I'll still eat the crudité (I love that name, it sounds so cruddy) usually eat them naked, I don't need the dip. I'll also eat the mushrooms just because they are so good.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, No One said:

...also, why is it always called "hard salami" ?  Has anyone ever encountered "soft salami" ?  What's up with that ?:huh:

They sell a lot of it, generally called cooked salami. It’s low priced lunch meat, mostly fat and spices. I don’t eat that either but I have eaten it in the past.

15 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Hunt - it is croo-de-tay, not crud-ite. :D

Pretty high-falutin', eh?  I also don;t understand why it isn;t just vegetable tray.  :D

Crudités is French. Kind of like champagne, hors d’ouvre, piano, and rsvp.

• Awesome 1

46 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I finally used Google to find out what you meant by crudite.  What happened to vegetable trays? That must be talking like an old person.

I have never heard called crudite except on here. I googled it a couple years ago when DH was talking about it. I always pronounce it crud ite in my head just like I say whores devorse. I’m not French and not bound by their goofy pronunciation.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I have never heard called crudite except on here. I googled it a couple years ago when DH was talking about it. I always pronounce it crud ite in my head just like I say whores devorse. I’m not French and not bound by their goofy pronunciation.

My ex cow-orker used to say horse's ovaries.  :D

He also said his wife was going to the vaginacologist. 

He has a way with words. :D

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My ex cow-orker used to say horse's ovaries.  :D

He also said his wife was going to the vaginacologist. 

He has a way with words. :D

I wanted to give this both the trophy and the haha. Archie Bunker called it the Groinacologist. That’s what I always called it.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I wanted to give this both the trophy and the haha. Archie Bunker called it the Groinacologist. That’s what I always called it.

I figured you would have some alternative name for it. :D

One of my favourite Archie Bunker-isms was when he told Gloria:  "you can't watch that movie with its full nudal frontity". :D

Note:  It looks like people are having fun with that one for soup. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=full+nudal+frontity&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

I picked the cheese, salami and crackers option.  Crudite is my fallback, but, to me, crudite says boring reception more than a party.

Obligatory vegetable, usually purchase already laid out at the grocery store. 

When I prepare a vegetable tray I slightly blanch the broccoli, pea pods, and asparagus so they’re brighter. 

• Heart 1