Went shopping Saturday

12string

Figured I'd head to Performance and see how cheap stuff is with the whole closing thing.

It's not.

I needed shoes, got  a pair at a  decent price, but no better than a good sale.  Also picked up a new headlight.  Same deal.  My daughter is shopping bikes.  No house brand, not a big selection of road bikes, almost all Fuji.  At the lower end, prices were pretty good, but they've really taken them down market.  At the higher end - I told not to buy a Fuji for that price, if she's spending $1500 she can do better.

Maybe after Christmas when they are truly closing the deals will start

I found the same when I went a couple of weeks ago.  I had a gift card so it was free money and yeah stuff was on sale but usual PB discounts just on a wider array of stuff.

i was at a Sears that's closing and noticed the same. Sure stuff was on "sale" but it was still not a great price.

My daughter really didn't know, it's her first new bike, she thought a bike would be a couple hundred, I thought that's what she wanted to spend so that's what I showed her.  When I told her they were junk and she should spend a bunch more, she was all OK, that's what bikes cost so it's off to the LBS.

Kid has way more money than she knows what to do with, but she just doesn't like spending money.  She's not cheap, she just thinks people spend too much money on things.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, 12string said:

My daughter really didn't know, it's her first new bike, she thought a bike would be a couple hundred, I thought that's what she wanted to spend so that's what I showed her.  When I told her they were junk and she should spend a bunch more, she was all OK, that's what bikes cost so it's off to the LBS.

Kid has way more money than she knows what to do with, but she just doesn't like spending money.  She's not cheap, she just thinks people spend too much money on things.

It all depends on what she wants to do with the bike.  When I was looking for a bike just to get exercise, I met a couple who had bought $86 Walmart bikes that fell apart on them, and the $450 mountain bike I got on sale for $299 wasn't good for much else than riding on paved trails, but it is excellent and durable for that.

If I decide to ride on Saturdays with a local club, I'll definite get a faster hybrid or road bike, but I'm ok with the mountain bike right now.

• Heart 2

Store closings are generally handled by professional closers. Everyone knows the store is closing so they put up big signs everywhere and say everything is on sale, up to 70% off. The 70% stuff is always overpriced junk that you can always get for 70% off. The rest of the store might be 10 or 20% off the retail price. This goes on for a couple months usually and they finally start reducing the prices. The only real deals are during the last week before they lock the doors and by then it’s slim picking. I managed to get enough single speed and multi speed chain to last a lifetime at one store closing on their last week (not a Performance store). I think it was 80 or 90% off.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

11 hours ago, MickinMD said:

It all depends on what she wants to do with the bike.  When I was looking for a bike just to get exercise, I met a couple who had bought $86 Walmart bikes that fell apart on them, and the $450 mountain bike I got on sale for $299 wasn't good for much else than riding on paved trails, but it is excellent and durable for that.

If I decide to ride on Saturdays with a local club, I'll definite get a faster hybrid or road bike, but I'm ok with the mountain bike right now.

Yep.  So much about folks frustration with cycling is due to not knowing WHAT type of bike they actually should get and will be happiest with.  A $10k super bike is an awful bike to many, many folks but a dream bike to a few. Likewise, a $500 hybrid is no longer a "good choice" once a cyclist realizes they are an MTBer or a bikepacker or a mountain goat.  

I've almost given up offering any advice to new (pre-purchase) cyclists without a long conversation about their real goals for a bike.  If their goals seem to be far beyond their current skills or experience, it is often easiest to simply try to get across to them that they might need to buy a couple bikes on their journey to their ultimate goal. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

She's been riding a flat bar bike, she'll keep that for riding in the city.   I'm pushing her towards something heavy with poor aerodynamics and crappy group because if she gets a decent bike I will no longer be able to keep up with her.  I may have to settle for teaching her really bad technique.