Currently reading?

Ralphie

Very readable and worthwhile so far, but that's sort of to be expected since i love reading aboot cars, high tech, and company histories as well as biographies, so this sort of checks all the boxes!  I am not an Elon Musk or electric car fanboy (at least snot yet!), but ya gotta give it to him for chutzpah and energy!  As well as for being able to make a huge jump forward in 'lectric cars which were so moribund for SO long.  Of course they credit laptop batteries for making the battery advancements so he was partially in the right place at the right time.

It seems to me that the simplicity of 'lectric cars is sort of analogous to CRTs vd LCDs.  Just lightyears simpler and cheaper, so that they will eventually win oot seems inevitable.  Why the hell make an expensive complicated CRT when an LCD will do?

I won't spoil the story behind the title for those of you unfamiliar with it like I was, but it is fun. :D

The whole thing with the interplay of tech and automotive really cements how Silicon Valley and Californ-eye-A is the new center of industry.

GUEST_7a35d3d4-30a2-40b2-87a2-4273d574d6

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Another Techno shoot em up bad guys are bad go Team America type of book.  

About a secret service agent teaming up with with some CIA asshats to take down Abu Nidal's son before the world goes to war.

Image result for path of the assassin

Little know Wiki-fact:

2020 Presidential Campaign[edit]

On April 21, 2018, Thor announced his candidacy for President of the United States in the 2020 election.[25] On July 5, 2018, Thor decided against running and left the Republican Party, becoming an Independent, citing frustration with the GOP-controlled Congress and President Donald Trump's divisiveness.[26]

9 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It seems to me that the simplicity of 'lectric cars is sort of analogous to CRTs vd LCDs.  Just lightyears simpler and cheaper, so that they will eventually win oot seems inevitable.  Why the hell make an expensive complicated CRT when an LCD will do?

I agree in many respects.  I do wonder, though, about the availability of resources (eg. fossil fuels are more plentiful than lithium), yet an electric car seems so much better in most respects.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I agree in many respects.  I do wonder, though, about the availability of resources (eg. fossil fuels are more plentiful than lithium), yet an electric car seems so much better in most respects.

Twue - never heard much aboot lithium, but the rare earths needed are, well, rare!

The flexibility of fuel seems like a definite plus - anywheres from coal to NG to nuclear to solar and wind.

I have acquired some of Stanislaw Lem's sci-fi books for the New Year that I haven't read: Solaris (also the George Clooney movie), Cyberiad, and Fiasco.

I also have Henry Adams' (son of John Quincy Adams and grandson of John Adams) History of the Jefferson and Madison Administrations, which includes the War of 1812.  I read a excerpted version of the war part of the 9 volumes and it was fascinated reading of what Adams got from men who fought the war and were still alive to provide Adams with details.  Did you know the New England states were ready to secede from the USA than fight the war and were barely turned away from that path?  We don't hear any of the dissention, idiocies, etc. in the modern versions, so I hope to get to it soon.

I also have some Marco Polo books.  The original book he dictated to a fellow prisoner while held as a prisoner of war has been lost but a modern translation of the 1400's version of the book, believed to be solidly based on the original, exists and I have a modern translation.  I also have books that claim he made it all up and that he really went to China.  Some claim the fact he never mentioned the Great Wall of China shows he wasn't there, but no other Europeans there at the time did either: the Mongols the wall tried to keep out were ruling China and it had fallen into disrepair.  I going to read it assuming it's a true story.

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Fascinating...

he Technical Manual is a top-notch resource that gives both newcomers and seasoned professionals the information needed to succeed in the rapidly changing field of transfusion medicine. Experts provide the benefit of their knowledge and experience in 28 chapters and approximately 100 procedures—all of which have been reviewed by standing committees of the AABB.

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Fascinating...

Sadly to me, it is.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

he Technical Manual is a top-notch resource that gives both newcomers and seasoned professionals the information needed to succeed in the rapidly changing field of transfusion medicine. Experts provide the benefit of their knowledge and experience in 28 chapters and approximately 100 procedures—all of which have been reviewed by standing committees of the AABB.

What he said.  Technically the procedures aren't part of the book, they come on a chip and need to be downloaded.

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Sadly to me, it is.

What he said.  Technically the procedures aren't part of the book, they come on a chip and need to be downloaded.

I've done similar with books about the math involved in Synthetic Aperture Radar for work on similar devices using lasers instead of radio waves (lidar).  It's very dry reading and thankfully I don't need to do that anymore.  Now I can pass some time just reading space opera scifi.