Which Side Of The Sidewalk Do You Walk On?

Razors Edge

I like to walk on the right (literally and figuratively) side of a sidewalk and pass folks going in the same direction on their left.  This is similar to how I drive and ride.

I noticed in the Australia and New Zealand that this may not be the case with how they walk (it is certainly true for their driving and cycling).  So, is it a known fact that Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, and whatever other "wrong side of the road" folks also walk on the wrong side? Or was it more a case of too many tourists gumming up the works to establish a true pattern?

With @pedalphile MIA, maybe some other representative of the minority can answer instead.  

I like to stay to the right here.  It makes sense to have some standard beyond randomness.  However I do not attempt to walk on the right in Japan.  That will simply get you mowed down by the advancing mob, especially on stairways where you must stay left for your own survival.  I assume then that the choice is largely cultural.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

So, is it a known fact that Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, and whatever other "wrong side of the road" folks also walk on the wrong side? Or was it more a case of too many tourists gumming up the works to establish a true pattern?

While in London, we asked the hotel concierge whether people walk on the left side of the sidewalk because we found ourselves frequently bumping into people. She said that people walk wherever they can move faster because the city sidewalks tend to be crowded.

And that people bump each other all the time on the London sidewalks.

Probably to give themselves yet another reason to apologize. ;)

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

While in London, we asked the hotel concierge whether people walk on the left side of the sidewalk because we found ourselves frequently bumping into people. She said that people walk wherever they can move faster because the city sidewalks tend to be crowded.

And that people bump each other all the time on the London sidewalks.

Probably to give themselves yet another reason to apologize. ;)

Years ago I was in Holland and on busy sidewalks people kept bumping me.  I didn't like it much and leaned in and shoulder checked one Dutchie. I nearly spun the dude and he just kept walking.... I guess shoulder bumping is more common in Europe...

• Heart 1

A number of years ago a local city that didn’t have sidewalks passed an ordinance that all new construction or remodeling would require you to install sidewalks the length of your property. It’s about the dumbest thing you can imagine, a nice wide expensive sidewalk starts in a bunch of briers and goes 100 yards and ends at a vacant lot with no sidewalk. If you build them people will use them...NOT.

32 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

A number of years ago a local city that didn’t have sidewalks passed an ordinance that all new construction or remodeling would require you to install sidewalks the length of your property. It’s about the dumbest thing you can imagine, a nice wide expensive sidewalk starts in a bunch of briers and goes 100 yards and ends at a vacant lot with no sidewalk. If you build them people will use them...NOT.

It's sort of a "oh sheot, we should have done this from the start" sort of thing.  If you want a "community" you build sidewalks.  Folks need a place to walk and interact.  Is it a silver bullet? No.  But a tree lined neighborhood with sidewalks in a town or city is surely more pleasant than one with no sidewalks.  Reasonably, though, the city would be better building out the sidewalks themselves and then placing the maintenance responsibility onto the landowners.