Do you know how to type?

Square Wheels

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I never learned.  I type with two fingers mostly, When I'mm feeling crazy, I'll throw in a thumb for the space bar.

Not really!  I've used several tutorials in the past, but I always revert to my jacked up self-styled enhanced hunt and peck. :D  I use more than just two fingers, like sometimes the third finger on the comma, etc, but I am totally inconsistent, but through sheer volume I have gotten half fast.  My biggest problem is I still look at the keys, so many times I might find I have typed a line or two in caps (usually on the Mac because the caps lock is very close to the a), or the cursor wasn't in the window, wrong window, etc. Sort of a metaphor for my life, really. :D

• Heart 1

I can type good. I took typing in HS, I believe it was required :scratchhead: Learned on an IBM selectric III. Anywho, in college I typed essays and research papers on a PC so I got pretty damn good at it. At work I type a lot, so practice makes better. I do type w/o looking at the keyboard.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I can type good. I took typing in HS, I believe it was required :scratchhead: Anywho, in college I typed essays and research papers so I got pretty damn good at it. At work I type a lot, so practice makes better. I do type w/o looking at the keyboard.

Now aboot that grammar... :D

Sorry, I had to!  I don;t mean to be a Grammar Nazi, but I like to think would tell you if you had egg on your face. But you do type well. :)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I can type good. I took typing in HS, I believe it was required :scratchhead: Learned on an IBM selectric III. 

This and I can type gooder.  We had to start on manual typewriters to build finger strength )seems like BS to me) before moving to the electric typewriters.  I can still hear Mrs Widolf with her pointer. A,A,A,A , F,F,F,F.

• Heart 1

Yes, I can type pretty well, even without looking.  I never really took lessons (other than some computer program I used on a TRS-80 in grade school) but after two decades of composing reports at the computer, I realized at some point that it comes naturally now.

I can't do it on a laptop either - I grabbed an old USB PC keyboard from work, so I can deal with a "real" keyboard at home.

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

That sounds like piano lessons! :D

Never had no piano lessons.  There was an alphabet on the wall and she had this long pointer and you had to look up at her as she pointed to the letter.  If you looked down she would call you out, eyes up Chris! 

I can type looking up but as I'm generally composing thoughts into words I usually look at the keyboard even though I know where the letters are.

42 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I never learned.  I type with two fingers mostly, When I'mm feeling crazy, I'll throw in a thumb for the space bar.

We had typing class in 9th grade.  I almost got it.  Now, it is a half-azz process involving lots of backspacing but at least using most of my fingers.

I took typing classes in High School back in 1968 and 1969. It was on an old Royal manual typewriter the first year and an IBM Selectric the next.

It was the first year that boys could take typing as it was a 'girls' class before. Boys still weren't allowed to take Home Ec for a few years later.

I cheated in the first year to get an A. I had the same typewriter at home and the book we used was at the public library. Sister Mary Ann seldom walked around the classroom and followed the text book religiously. So I would do the test the night before from home. If the test was more than 40 works with no more than 3 mistakes, I'd do 43 words with 2 mistakes and hand the paper in.

• Haha 2

I type. I took the class because it was all girls but me and I like girls. We learned to type in the first week and the rest of the year was just to improve speed and learn how to type a business letter and stuff like that.

iPad typing is a stretch, you can’t type the way you were taught and to hold the iPad like a cell phone and type with your thumbs really stretches your thumbs. I’m on an iPad right now.

When my wife was practicing for a typing test for work she had to type 40 words per minute to get the job. She only managed to get 38. They told her they would pay for a typing class for her to get up to speed or she could start right away on this other job. The other job was much better than the one she thought she wanted. Being slow payed off.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

We only have one rotary phone in the hall, but the other has buttons.  Paying bills, etc. requires one to have at least one phone with buttons. I still have a flip phone from tracfone, and we don't text. A few folks have my cell phone number, but anybody that wants to talk to us talks to the answering machine..

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We only have one rotary phone in the hall, but the other has buttons.  Paying bills, etc. requires one to have at least one phone with buttons. I still have a flip phone from tracfone, and we don't text. A few folks have my cell phone number, but anybody that wants to talk to us talks to the answering machine..

How long since you had one of these? My cousin had one, I needed to call my mom and didn’t know how to use it.

2DC4CC8D-E93B-448A-830C-65E5487AB35B.png

My mother taught typing for a while, but spent most of her career as an executive assistant to the head of large hospital here in Dallas.  She can type with incredible speed and accuracy and can also take dictation in shorthand, which is a lost art I think.  Amazing to watch her type or take dictation.

I took typing in highschool and do okay with the ASDF / JKL; style, but the reach to the top row of number and symbols is something I never practiced much so I really have to stop and look to use the top of a qwerty keyboard.

We had to take a typing class in grammar school.  Not sure why, at that time no one could even imagine computers keyboards.  anyway, we had to bring our own typewriters, and no WAY mom would let me bring her super fancy electric, so I hauled that 95# manual with the ribbon that wouldn't stay in place.  Someone developed a brilliant teaching plan that had us put colored tape on the keys and on our fingers.  Then the nuns would yell at us for looking at our keys and fingers.  I got in trouble a couple times for asking what was the point of the color coding if we weren't allowed to look at it.  I never got good at typing but I did get pretty good at synchronizing the striking of a number of keys so the levers would all jam up.  That was fun.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Yes, and that is why I find laptop key boards frustrating and IPad key pads impossible.

This is very true.  I learned on mechanical typewriters so on a chromebook I sound like the percussion section.  Lately the snow has put a lag on the machine in the secret lab that has a full keyboard but is down stream of some slow wifi do I find myself running well ahead of what appears on the screen......so much so that the breaker on my short term memory trips.  That's ejrm ,u yu[omh yitmd yp djoy./

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Typing class was mandatory our Freshman year. Everyone had to use a manual typewriter except those in the "Business" curriculum (designed for secretaries and accountants at the time.). Our teacher was this roly-poly curmudgeon of a guy. But he did have a bit of a sense of humor. He caught one guy trying to type with 2 fingers. Said "we don't do the Columbus Method in here. Find it and land on it!"

In my work, I have to adapt to any keyboard on PC or laptop. I can even switch-hit on the mouse if needed. I am pretty good typing on the phone, too. 

..this will surprise no one, but I took touch typing class in junior college because that was where all the hottest non hippie chicks were located.  We typed on IBM Selectric typewriters in that class, and I got to date an actual beauty contest winner once.  Not making this up. :)  She wore fake eyelashes and everything.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Envious 1

4 hours ago, No One said:

..this will surprise no one, but I took touch typing class in junior college because that was where all the hottest non hippie chicks were located.  We typed on IBM Selectric typewriters in that class, and I got to date an actual beauty contest winner once.  Not making this up. :)  She wore fake eyelashes and everything.

I think you and longjohn might be brothers from different mothers. :D

• Haha 2

I tend to get in trouble when I’m on my laptop because I type faster than I think. You have no idea how many posts on the iPad or phone I delete without hitting the submit button. I realize that what I’m typing might not be a good idea and might be taken wrong. On the laptop it’s already posted before I have time to think about it.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I can type pretty well. Although at work I can now dictate a lot of stuff using voice recognition software, which is faster even though you have to actively edit.

Voice recognition has come a long way. The first voice recognition I used you had to train to recognize your voice. Now they work amazingly well right from the start. I text with my wife using voice recognition sometimes.

5 minutes ago, shotgun said:

Yes, I took typing in HS and have used computers since 1981, so it has been helpful. I think my shoulder and carpal tunnel surgery rewired something though. I hit the backspace key a lot more than I used too, but with tremendous accuracy! ?

So you stuf look lik thi?

On 12/21/2018 at 8:57 AM, Square Wheels said:

I reached the point where I was doing 20-30 words/minute without typing training. My hands - mostly 2 fingers on each - have typed so much stuff as a teacher, etc, that I my hands go to the right key without me consciously thinking about it.

But then I decided to take a typing course.  The initial slow-down to consciously learn the correct position slowed me down so much I abandoned the effort.  Maybe now, that I've got more time, I should download a "typing tutor."