How often are you assigned impossible tasks, and how do you handle them?

Ralphie

I have two stacked up today already!  I get them quite often. 

1) Resolve a yearlong hospital billing problem for daughter #2.  The insurance company won;t pay until they get a detailed bill, and the hospital refuses to provide one.

2) Find Christmas stuff in the basement after all the bins have been brought up and accessed and returned to the basement.

Now you know why I am always on the forum. :D

• Awesome 1

34 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How big is the bill?

Not that big - $300 or $1000, something like that. They originally billed the auto insurance, so that ate up some time, then they almost immediately turned it over to a collection agency, and our insurance wont; work with one of them.  Just a total shitshow! 

On the plus side, the missing Christmas stuff was slightly mislabeled, so my wife found it.

That was my profession in the Laser prototyping industry.  Impossible tasks landed on my desk.  Someone once told me that I had a reputation.....if it doesn't exist maxx will have it on the loading dock day after tomorrow.  Prototyping is like that.  Much of what you are attempting to make never existed before on this planet.  Fortunately that gives a bit more latitude compared to straight up manufacturing.  When I was told I could purchase a 20,000 dollar reel of parts in 16 months I was able to call a "guy" in Indonesia who traded me 10 parts on a leader that fell out of the machine when it was loaded for a quart of scotch.

Impossible is just maybe spelled sideways.

• Awesome 2

Early on in my career I was labeled as the fixer and got all the difficult accounts with miserable clients. And I fixed them all.  Until the time I was brought in too late and couldn't fix it in time and the firm lost the customer. And I got blamed for losing the contract.  Fuckers.  

I left that firm shortly after and ended up picking up that contract with another firm!  

• Awesome 1