Esther is a fucked up name

Randomguy

I have an aunt who's name is Ruth Esther.

Regarding the "h", ester in the English language is associated:

"In chemistry, an ester is a chemical compound derived from an acid (organic or inorganic) in which at least one –OH (hydroxyl) group is replaced by an –O–alkyl (alkoxy) group. Usually, esters are derived from a carboxylic acid and an alcohol. Glycerides, which are fatty acid esters of glycerol, are important esters in biology, being one of the main classes of lipids, and making up the bulk of animal fats and vegetable oils. Esters with low molecular weight are commonly used as fragrances and found in essential oils and pheromones. Phosphoesters form the backbone of DNA molecules. Nitrate esters, such as nitroglycerin, are known for their explosive properties, while polyesters are important plastics, with monomers linked by ester moieties. Esters usually have a sweet smell and are considered high-quality solvents for a broad array of plastics, plasticizers, resins, and lacquers.  They are also one of the largest classes of synthetic lubricants on the commercial market."

• Awesome 1

32 minutes ago, smudge said:

I don't understand why you have to start so many stupid threads like this.

Because all names are messed up in some way, and I saw an article that said the "most popular names in each borough" for last year.  The H thing seemed weird at the moment when it was spelled out.  There you go.

122118names2a.jpg

20 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

My Grandma’s names were Hilda and Alma. Waiting patiently for them to come back in style. 

They will all cycle around at some point, even the ones that don't seem like they have a chance.

How do you get Dick from Richard, btw?

Just now, Randomguy said:

Grape pies?  Nobody is named Ruth now.  Girls names have too many syllables these days.  RO has too many, but it is hard to shorten in a way that sounds good.  I think I will start calling her Polly or Sally.  

No, standard pies, like apple, etc.  Grape pies are just wierd!  :D

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

When I was still a young single Jesus Freak I once had three Esthers in my hippy van at the same time on the way to a concert. Esther was a popular name in my group of friends.

Did you marry one of them @Longjohn ?

49 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

No, standard pies, like apple, etc.  Grape pies are just wierd!  :D

Grape pies are standard pies. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Because all names are messed up in some way, and I saw an article that said the "most popular names in each borough" for last year.  The H thing seemed weird at the moment when it was spelled out.  There you go.

122118names2a.jpg

I think it's mean to pick on people for their names, they didn't choose to be named the way they are.  I have a goofy name that I never liked.  I mentioned that to my mother, she was insulted.  Of the girls names on that list the only one I like is Emma.  I don't like any of the boy names.  Should I make fun of them, make them feel ashamed of something they didn't do?

19 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Should I make fun of them, make them feel ashamed of something they didn't do?

Anything can be poked, that is how threads start.  It is a good way to get over being overly sensitive about stuff that isn't overly important anyway.  I told my mom roughly the same thing, btw, but I never bothered by going by my middle name, but I like the simpleness of my middle name much better.  My middle name is also fucked up from a silent H, too.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Anything can be poked, that is how threads start.

I used to think it made me feel good to make fun of people.  I was (am) really good at it.  As I age I find much more pleasure in making people feel like a success, like they matter, more positive about themselves.  Even when they fail, we find what they can learn from it.  I'm in charge at work, yet I give all of the credit to others, regardless if it was my idea.  It makes me feel really good when I am not trying to put myself ahead of others.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

At least she didn’t name him Abcde and then get all butt hurt when people made fun of him.

I'm pretty sure he will hate his name and kids will find a way to make fun of it.  My son should have objected, but she runs things.  He rarely asserts himself, as far as I can see.  :(

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I'm pretty sure he will hate his name and kids will find a way to make fun of it.  My son should have objected, but she runs things.  He rarely asserts himself, as far as I can see.  :(

But on the bright side we will never make fun of him because we will never get to see him.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

My grandmothers were named Hazel and Opal.  

It's interesting to see how names have changed through the years.  When I was a kid, Hazel and Opal wouldn't have seemed strange for a full-growed woman.  Today, they sound ancient. 

When I was in school, the most popular names for girls were Linda, Susan and Anne.  No one names their girls Linda or Susan today.  

I like Ester - without the h. My Masters thesis at ITT was about the synthesis of Ortho Esters.

I developed ways of synthesizing 9 Ortho Esters (chemicals all including a carbon atom with three oxygen atoms attached), including 5 that had never existed before. They were used in further studies to show how a unique, previously unexplained reaction of ortho esters with acid and water occurred, which demonstrated new ways to accomplish certain synthetic chemical reactions. I published the thesis in 1975 and the resulting papers over the next several years are still being cited today in Ortho Ester research.  For example, I'm the Cashen, M.J. in reference 27 on page 10083 (bottom left of page 5 of 8 ) in the 2017 research article here: https://docslide.net/documents/mechanistic-studies-of-the-biomimetic-epoxy-esterorthoester-and-orthoestercyclic.html

As far as Esther goes, that name makes me think of the not-so-attractive love interest of Ben Hur.