What does the dishwasher do?

Road Runner

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

She’s cute. My dishwasher doesn’t do shit. We’ll be getting a new one soon. Plus it makes more noise than a 747. 

Our Maytag was like that.  Ditched it before it died because when we bought a new fridge a nice Samsung caught our eye.  We liked the stainless steel interior, and it cleans a hell of a lot better than that _)()(*&^%^% Maytag.  Go figure!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We got a new dishwasher this fall. Ridiculously quiet. Three racks which is nice, but interior volume seems smaller, so it’s a trade off.

They told us not to rinse our dishes before washing them, that they’d actually get a longer wash and cleaner if the sensors detected food particals in the water. That was news that was easier for me than my wife to accept.

• Heart 2

We replaced our old Maytag a couple years ago when replaced kitchen cabinets and counters. Bosch was and is the standard setter, but since replacing all appliances kept it consistent. Wife surprised me liking Maytag due to the round bar handles in the range/oven and fridge (dishwasher clean face like most including Bosch) which surprised me as more masculine than the bow arched handles on most others, including the Frigidare/Amana twins of Maytag as Maytag isn't Maytag anymore. Also, while not critical was the presence of a heating element for drying which most don't have, but I rarely use.

While quietness is notable on virtually every model with many stating db levels in marketing as it varies, other things to be aware of, longer 'normal' cycles, and uses heat built up from the wash to dry and may be a little damp, particurally is opened the door during or at the end of the drying time and let the heat escape.

• Heart 1

We bought a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher in 2015 and it wasn't cleaning all that well, The fancy lower spray bar rotated 3 different ways but dishes and pans weren't getting cleaned from underneath the lower rack. I replaced the spray bar with a simpler one and the dishes were much cleaner.

I highly recommend the Cascade Platinum ActionPacs detergent. They do a good job on burned stuff on the pans.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

They told us not to rinse our dishes before washing them, that they’d actually get a longer wash and cleaner if the sensors detected food particals in the water.

I have only used old dishwashers in my life, generally 15 years old or more.  Leaving the dishes unrinsed would be a huge selling feature to people of my generation who can't bring themselves to rinse them first!  

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I still hand wash all my dishes.  I never felt it was easier or better to use a dishwasher.  I prefer to do them by hand.  Then I know they are clean.  

All people have distinct ideas about dishes.  I like to handwash a dish or two or three, but prefer a dishwasher for larger amounts.  I think everything should be dishwasher-safe, but some people think pans don't belong in the dishwasher.  I hate washing pans.

Most people have no idea how to load a dishwasher logically, btw.

I actually have a big hole in my cabinets where the dishwasher used to be.. With all the wedding hubbub the dishwasher was scheduled for delivery yesterday.  Apparently when the kitchen was redone they didn't put wood under the countertop tonsnchor the dishwasher, there is a metal bracket.  Installers refused to install it like that. Options were to reschedule or have them drop it and install ourselves.  I was actually talking to my neighbor when they came and he said he'd help so I told the guys to pull the old one and drop the new one.

What, pull the old one, we can't do that?  Why not?  If we don't install we don't pull the old one.  Dude, I paid for removal, remove it.   After a few calls to his office they removed it and dropped the new one in my garage.

My neighbor is a good dude and said he's done it before and is happy to help.  

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

All people have distinct ideas about dishes.  I like to handwash a dish or two or three, but prefer a dishwasher for larger amounts.  I think everything should be dishwasher-safe, but some people think pans don't belong in the dishwasher.  I hate washing pans.

Most people have no idea how to load a dishwasher logically, btw.

I usually do pans and the odd dish or glass by hand. 

Repair DIY. The bottom rollers on the Whirlpool/Amana/Maytag have a bad habit of the wheels falling off due to the plastic clip in axel wearing. While you can buy a replacement unit of the same design for $19.99 each, I found a youTube video with afar better solution. Essentially get stainless steel bolts, nut and washer from Home Depot to reattach the wheels.