The inaugural electric bike ride

Dottleshead

"Selene Yeager “The Fit Chick”
Selene Yeager is a top-selling professional health and fitness writer who lives what she writes as a NASM certified personal trainer, USA Cycling certified coach, pro licensed mountain bike racer, and All-American Ironman triathlete."

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a23610389/how-e-bikes-affect-fitness/

19 minutes ago, Dottles said:

You and me both.  It's all SUPPOSED to be waterproof.

Yes but how and when sealing fails ...

We've got a snowblower out in the shed with an electric motor operated chute rotor. We got perhaps a couple of trouble free years out of it. I have been disassembling the motor and removing corrosion every year before we use it. Just a thought. ?

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

She doesn’t want to here his eBike adventures.

I can't put words in her mouth, but I bet she would be on board with it.  There are times you want to exert the hell out of yourself, but other times you can't be a sweaty mess at the end of your trip.

I have to admit that the electric bike thing seemed an abomination when I first heard of the concept, but that was before I examined it in depth.  Different tools for different jobs and all that.

• Heart 2

15 hours ago, Dottles said:

My wife and I just rode a 17 mile round trip across the valley where we conquered a good share of hills get to and from it. 

Awesome for you!  Is there an ebike in your wife's future?

We did a off road ride on vacation with two other couples.  One "older" couple - late 50s? - opted for an ebike for the wife.  She kept up and rocked it.  It was funny, riding into a stiff headwind on a beach and seeing her hubby catch a tow :D

Hoping you have MANY grand adventures and safe commutes on the new bike, and please post a pic or two and some more details after you have a better idea of the pros/cons you are seeing.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I think if it keeps you on a bike...great...

Where I don't like them is on bikes where the riders have no clue of basic bicycle rules/etiquette or bike handling skills..and they crank it up to top speed.

Yep. I'm not sure my bike will ever see a paved trail (it might).  Almost all my riding will be on the road.  I repeat.  This is a commuter bike.  But if I do take it on a trail, my class 1 bike ensures I won't be pedaling over 20 mph.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Awesome for you!  Is there an ebike in your wife's future?

We did a off road ride on vacation with two other couples.  One "older" couple - late 50s? - opted for an ebike for the wife.  She kept up and rocked it.  It was funny, riding into a stiff headwind on a beach and seeing her hubby catch a tow :D

Hoping you have MANY grand adventures and safe commutes on the new bike, and please post a pic or two and some more details after you have a better idea of the pros/cons you are seeing.

Yeah, they had a great sale and I bought her one too. i don't know why there is such resistance by some in the biking community -- especially if they are used for commuters only.  I mean I could be sitting in my car.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

DH will be along soon to kick your ass.

Yes, she will.  Be her disgust is the electric mountain bikes -- where I think she has a point.  Those things would tear up the trails she works hard to maintain.  My road commuter bike is not a threat to the paved roads.

"The most amazing thing is that my heart rate stays up when I'm riding. I'll move along at eco mode unless I need the speed for traffic or power for hills and my heart rate stays in the 140-160 range that I would do with a normal workout anyway. Granted, I push the e-bike like I would my regular bike, I just go faster with the assist. I guess the old Greg LeMond adage still rings true "It doesn't hurt any less, you just go faster."

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

Says the retired guy who lives in a sunny valley that is flat as hell for 500 miles around him.  ?

...I commuted to the fire department year 'round by bike for a few years.  That's through rain, and fog, and dark of morning.  But I did have  a locker room and a shower at the work end, which makes it a whole lot more practical.  When youi ride as fast as I ride, it's not the hills, it's the air resistance and the wind.  We have plenty of wind.  Wind is what we substitute for hills. :)

• Awesome 1

You are using this for it's best intended method, in my opinion.  They are excellent for commuter rigs.

Seeing e bikes on the MTB trails, that is where I have a problem.  They do not belong in the wild places.   The industry is following the dollars.   People want them.  More will buy them.  We will lose access.  

• Heart 1