I bought my bikes Christmas presents.

JerrySTL

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

My road bike has over 4K miles on the 11-speed chain.

I rode in rain and grit yesterday, and I think I "aged" my chain 1,000 miles in that short ride :(  I heard some awful noises coming from my drivetrain when I was headed home.  I did my best to clean and lube it when I got home, but worry that grit found some places to take refuge.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I rode in rain and grit yesterday, and I think I "aged" my chain 1,000 miles in that short ride :(  I heard some awful noises coming from my drivetrain when I was headed home.  I did my best to clean and lube it when I got home, but worry that grit found some places to take refuge.

You know what? I'd like to get a chain cleaner. I've been looking at them for the last couple of months. I'd probably use it a couple of times a year. I avoid rain like the plague. I can dress for it easily but it triples the maintenance required for a bike.

13 minutes ago, donkpow said:

You know what? I'd like to get a chain cleaner. I've been looking at them for the last couple of months. I'd probably use it a couple of times a year. I avoid rain like the plague. I can dress for it easily but it triples the maintenance required for a bike.

I had one of the Park Tools chain cleaners, it worked very well & wasn't much of a hassle to use. I used Simple Green in it.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I bought them new chains. My road bike has over 4K miles on the 11-speed chain. It isn't quite worn out using the old 12" ruler + 1/16" measurement trick but close. The 9-speed chain on my touring bike is officially worn out. 

I'll also change the batteries on the cadence and speed sensors soon. Back before USB rechargeable bike computers, I'd also change the batteries in them at the beginning of the year. Usually I can go the whole year that way.

:(

I was thinking you were going to tell us that you got some cool bells and maybe some streamers or somesuch.

• Heart 2

15 hours ago, donkpow said:

Do your chains have quick links?  If so my cheap chain cleaner consists of a 2 liter bottle filled with a simple green solution.  Shake well, empty and refil (not full full)  Shake again, cut top off bottle and remove chain. Rinse in warm water.  Clean.

My problem with onbike cleaners is that they don't rinse the cleaning solution off.

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Do your chains have quick links?  If so my cheap chain cleaner consists of a 2 liter bottle filled with a simple green solution.  Shake well, empty and refil (not full full)  Shake again, cut top off bottle and remove chain. Rinse in warm water.  Clean.

My problem with onbike cleaners is that they don't rinse the cleaning solution off.

Yeah, I could do it that way, if I wasn't so lazy. I can actually brush it on the bike and rinse it off, no problem. It's Christmas, dammit!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Do your chains have quick links? 

Yes. I just wipe the chains down then put them in a hot crock pot that has paraffin wax in it. Stir the chain around some and then hang to dry. It helps to put a loop of wire on the end of the chain so you can pull it out of the crock pot without getting burned.

I usually don't clean the chain unless they get very dirty like doing a gravel ride on a wet trail.

I bought my husband a pair of 45NRTH handlebar mitts.  I think he will be stoked.  

he knows about this forum, but he doesn't read our dribble.  So, I don't fear that he is going to see this post.

20 hours ago, Dottles said:

Buying two bikes allowed me to purchase one for myself and completely remove myself from the otherwise heavily pressured Christmas shopping ordeal for her.

He tends to buy me things that fit poorly.  Lately, he does more food items for me.  Things that I like, but are way too expensive for our usual grocery shopping.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I bought my husband a pair of 45NRTH handlebar mitts.  I think he will be stoked.  

he knows about this forum, but he doesn't read our dribble.  So, I don't fear that he is going to see this post.

He tends to buy me things that fit poorly.  Lately, he does more food items for me.  Things that I like, but are way too expensive for our usual grocery shopping.

Handle bar mitts? Whata re those?

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I did buy some special paraffin wax with graphite in it a while back. I haven't noticed much of a difference so I'll probably just go back to the paraffin wax at the grocery store used for canning.

Thanks. I have to say, it is unusual to see this old method of chain protection being employed.