What tech gadgets, latest fads/styles, or other popular modern paraphernalia have you eschewed?

Road Runner

We don't have a car. I don't have an iPhone yet and haven't made moves to get myself one. He has one to communicate with his (adult) children who have certain ways they prefer to communicate with him.  I don't use facebook, twitter.  I don't have cable nor a KitchenAid appliance.  Just a simple electric hand-held beater that's over 30 yrs.old.

Yet I have and grow a blog...which is probably a more complex use of social media than many others here.

• Heart 1

No cable or satellite  TV...hell just ask RG my DSL internet is metered (still :whistle:) Use too much and they slap my hands!!  I do have a cell phone...and it is smarter than me...  I just got a flat screen tv (free to me) last week

I have some kitchen appliances and gadgets but no insta-pot or fancy stuff...just a crock pot and george forman grill

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I do not have cable or satellite TV.  I do not use a dishwasher.  I do not have stainless steel appliances.  I do not have a cellphone.  

Let's see you beat that!   :)

You didn't name any "tech gadgets, latest fads/styles, or other popular modern paraphernalia". :(

48 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Does that mean you consider those things 'essentials'??

Nope. No everyone has a TV, or car, or bicycle, or kayak, or laptop, or SUV, or cowboy boots, or a bazillion "normal" things, but those don't fit the OP. BuffJim's Fitbit certainly fits the category, but a cell phone is not even remotely a fad or gadget or paraphernalia these days.

Almost nothing is essential, but that doesn't make non-essential stuff out of the ordinary by any stretch.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Nope. No everyone has a TV, or car, or bicycle, or kayak, or laptop, or SUV, or cowboy boots, or a bazillion "normal" things, but those don't fit the OP. BuffJim's Fitbit certainly fits the category, but a cell phone is not even remotely a fad or gadget or paraphernalia these days.

Almost nothing is essential, but that doesn't make non-essential stuff out of the ordinary by any stretch.

I have a new photo card for my DL renewal.

13 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I can't think of anything I "eschew". It's more a matter of what I want, don't want, need, don't need, can afford, can't afford. Stuff like that.

This. I'm not really into tech. I just don't need much of it. I still listen to records. I've never owned a microwave. No TV service, but I have a computer. I have a cellphone, but it's a pay as you go plan. 

Thinking about getting a backcountry satellite messenger like a Spot X or InReach mini so my friends and family don't worry as much about my backcountry travels.  I have bear spray. Is that a tech gadget?

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I do not have cable or satellite TV.  I do not use a dishwasher.  I do not have stainless steel appliances.  I do not have a cellphone.  

Let's see you beat that!   :)

I have cable TV.  I have a dishwasher.  I have stainless steel appliances and I have a cell phone,  Now I have an effing electric bike,  There's no hope for me.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

What does eschewed mean?  Asking for a friend.

es·chew
/əsˈCHo͞o/
verb
verb: eschew; 3rd person present: eschews; past tense: eschewed; past participle: eschewed; gerund or present participle: eschewing
  1. deliberately avoid using; abstain from.

I have slowly converted from a Luddite to a late adopter.  I am always on the tail end of technology.  For instance, upgrading my iphone from 5 to 6s plus now. :DTyping this on a grandpa box so old I have to run lightweight Linux on it.  My new laptop computer is Windows 7.  And I changed from a 1988 aluminum bike to a 2006 plastic one a couple of years ago.  We do have a stainless steel stove, fridge, and dishwasher, but that is all because of Mrs. Mooseworth.  I liked the beige enameled ones that were still working when we replaced them. :(  I still prefer carpet to hardwood or laminate, and vinyl flooring to ceramic tile. 

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We do have a stainless steel stove, fridge, and dishwasher, but that is all because of Mrs. Mooseworth.  I liked the beige enameled ones that were still working when we replaced them. :(  I still prefer carpet to hardwood or laminate, and vinyl flooring to ceramic tile. 

I would have given you three likes for this, If I could.  :)

• Awesome 1

22 hours ago, Chris... said:

My wife doesn't have one

I don't have a cell phone yet.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/technology/article-smartphone-refuseniks-are-a-rare-but-happy-breed/

Yes, I am like the above people described in the article.  It is peaceful just to allow my mind to wander while waiting or sitting on train/bus.  It's important I declutter my mind after work and let go of anything that demands my attention or I create artificial demands on my mind by surfing the 'Net while waiting for someone.  Sure I like technology. I use my home desktop.  

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

It is peaceful just to allow my mind to wander while waiting or sitting on train/bus.  It's important I declutter my mind after work and let go of anything that demands my attention or I create artificial demands on my mind by surfing the 'Net while waiting for someone. 

Cell phones do make it easy to use for distraction for sure, but I find that folks got easily distracted before there were cell phones and will continue to be easily distracted when cell phones are a distant memory. Discipline - like muting your phone and leaving it in your backpack/pocket/purse - is easy for some and impossible for others. You might be surprised in your ability to ignore the pull of a cell phone as you relax on your commute after work.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:57 PM, Razors Edge said:

That would depend on the tv and the service.  I'd say that a 4K Roku TV is pretty much a tech gadget.  Many cell phones do qualify as gadgets.  One can survive just fine with a land line and perhaps a flip phone.  I agree with Sheep Herder.  There are parts of the country unlike your yuppieville where many of your common gadgets are indeed out of the ordinary.