Your favorite healthy cookie

Road Runner

I worked for a doctor one year. He had bought a farm and it needed a lot of updating. I was often offered lunch or dinner with them if I was working late. His wife operated a health food store. Their food was interesting. They had health food cookies for desert. RG would say they tasted like ass. I made some oatmeal, cranberry, cookies with raw honey one time that actually tasted pretty good.I pretty much don’t bake or eat cookies anymore.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

If you want healthier, try this: For each cup of flour, use 1 tbslp Pyure artifical sweetener and 2 to 4 tablsp of sugar or honey. You will get sweetness with a dramatic drop in sugar carbs, and without that horrid artificial sweetener taste.

Mix half and half flour. Half wheat and hlaf almond or tigernut flour. I like tigernut flour, but it's expensive.

If you recipe calls for honey, use half that amount of Dolcedi, and a tsp or tblsp of Pyure.

Feel free to start with more, and then slowly reduce the amount of sweetener as your taste buds adjust.

Almost Keto cranberry muffins.

1/2 cup sour cream

4 eggs

1 cup tigernut flour

1 cup almond flour

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tblsp Pyure

3 or 4 tblsps sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp cinammon

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup cranberries (throw out the pale or imperfect ones)

1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped pecans - optional

Combine sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract  and whip.

Add the  flour, sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Beat again until smooth. You will prob have to add a little water.

Add cranberries and nut, put in muffin tin, and cook at 300F or 325F until the muffins are firm. Cooking time can vary with moisture, and the size of the muffins. I always make oversized muffins. 20-30 minutes, give or take.

My wife doesn't usally like my keto experiments, she had 2 of those.

I don't have a healthy cookie, but I do have a "healthy-for-me" candy bar, the excellent-tasting Kirkland Nut Bar, even though 2/3 of its 210 Calories are fat (13g good unsat, 3g bad sat, 0g trans fats). It is the only full-sized bar I know of, including stuff labeled "healthy," that satisfies my chocolate cravings and doesn't make my type-II diabetic blood sugar spike - probably because of all the nuts and 6 g of protein and 7 g of fiber in the 40 g (1.4 oz.) bar.  Note that fat takes longer to process and diabetics who go a while without eating or overnight and find their sugar still high often have a lot of fat traveling through their intestines. I haven't had that problem with this bar, but I rarely eat more than one in a day.

My U. of Maryland hospital system diabetic nutritionist said it's ok and the fact it doesn't spike my sugar or cause higher AM numbers outweighs the minor fat downside as long as I'm averaging one per day or less. I have one about every 2-3 days.

Costco sells boxes of 30 "Kirkland Nut Bars" for $16.99.  It is loaded with almonds, cashews, and walnuts.

174254734_KirlandBar.JPG.75db1d5b23e8f74c4a92ecc2afdf2c58.JPG

1073887965_KirklandNutBars3016_99.jpg.529b54c6c452c357b5b4c6538e3d4c24.jpg82419496_KirlandNutrition.thumb.JPG.8dbdea1d12bfc32de86ec0f7f759954a.JPG

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That cookbook is a hippie classic!  :D

...I still have my copy. It might be the oldest cookbook I own, since I tossed my mom's "Joy of Cooking" for a copy in better condition.  Hers was falling apart.  I think they printed it on recycled paper or something, because the paper in the original "Diet for a Small Planet has not aged well at all.  :(   But I still grab it every now and then for some recipe from the good ol' days living with the hippies in Minnesota. :)   It's raining here (all day), so I have spent the day picking and squeezing some Meyer lemons, and making a  lemon meringue pie.

The downside of living with the hippies in MN was that I could not grow lemons there. I had already been spoiled by having a lemon tree in Italy, and once you've seen Naples, you can't be happy in Dubuque any more.   :flirtyeyess:

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/24/2018 at 6:00 PM, MickinMD said:

I don't have a healthy cookie, but I do have a "healthy-for-me" candy bar, the excellent-tasting Kirkland Nut Bar, even though 2/3 of its 210 Calories are fat (13g good unsat, 3g bad sat, 0g trans fats). It is the only full-sized bar I know of, including stuff labeled "healthy," that satisfies my chocolate cravings and doesn't make my type-II diabetic blood sugar spike - probably because of all the nuts and 6 g of protein and 7 g of fiber in the 40 g (1.4 oz.) bar.  Note that fat takes longer to process and diabetics who go a while without eating or overnight and find their sugar still high often have a lot of fat traveling through their intestines. I haven't had that problem with this bar, but I rarely eat more than one in a day.

My U. of Maryland hospital system diabetic nutritionist said it's ok and the fact it doesn't spike my sugar or cause higher AM numbers outweighs the minor fat downside as long as I'm averaging one per day or less. I have one about every 2-3 days.

Costco sells boxes of 30 "Kirkland Nut Bars" for $16.99.  It is loaded with almonds, cashews, and walnuts.

174254734_KirlandBar.JPG.75db1d5b23e8f74c4a92ecc2afdf2c58.JPG

1073887965_KirklandNutBars3016_99.jpg.529b54c6c452c357b5b4c6538e3d4c24.jpg82419496_KirlandNutrition.thumb.JPG.8dbdea1d12bfc32de86ec0f7f759954a.JPG

Hey @MickinMD!  Is your Costco still carrying these? Mine hasn't had them in a month or so.  How about in your neck of the woods? I've had to change over to a different breakfast bar ?