Bye bye Deer Slayer

Longjohn

48 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I hated to see it go but my wife refused to camp in it anymore and one of the guys I worked with wanted to buy it from me. I always enjoyed seeing the looks on people’s faces when I drove that fifty year old motor home into a campground.

How much work will it take to make it roadworthy?

As you probably know, vintage campers are making a huge come back. People are even putting high performance crate motors in them, I guess so they can get to the camping grounds first to pick the best spots. ;)

I dont like to wrench much, but I do love the retro vibe so I've been looking at the new Braves. 

https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-a-gas/2015/brave/overview

wini 2.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I bet that thing was fun in a crosswind!  And with gas prices plummeting, it probably meant the market was good for selling it.  I hope your buddy gave you a good price :D

Flyte Camp had a TV show on their old trailer restorations.  Some were pretty awesome.

image.thumb.png.39a4faa669c0771a19aeb4eebd85dfef.png

image.thumb.png.41a7354168dbd96d12eb5e68c2a4af8f.png

• Envious 2

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

@smudge I was born too late.  That thing looked like it would have been awesome, when gas was about 99 cents a gal.

Gas is coming down below $2/gallon which is probably comparable to $0.99 from 20 years ago :D

You could ROCK this one:

image.thumb.png.8f9b60d805f39ecea856cfa73f90581e.png

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Will this cause you to loose your redneck status?

Never

7 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

How much work will it take to make it roadworthy?

It was fine when I parked it. Sometime while it was sitting there the master cylinder developed a leak. That’s all it needs as far as I know.

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I bet that thing was fun in a crosswind! 

That thing was a trip to drive. It is the exact opposite of aerodynamic, all the sharp edges whistled and howled when you drove down the road. It has a Ford 390 cubic inch V8 engine, manual steering, manual hydraulic drum brakes, and a three speed on the column manual transmission.

When I bought it from the service manager at the Ford dealership I asked him if he thought it was sound enough to make the drive to Williamsburg, Virginia to visit my sister in law. He said absolutely but when you get there you will be ready for a beer.

The brakes were weak. I had to stand on the brake pedal to get it to stop. I always worried wondering if I could get it to stop at a stop sign at the bottom of a hill.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Envious 1