What is the secret?

donkpow

I keep trying to make a good pattern for a pair of of mitten shells for riding the bike. The material is windproof nylon cut from some second hand running pants. I've got the fingers good  but I am having a heck of time getting the thumb correct. All the advice says to be sure to cut the slit between the thumb  and forefinger deep enough so as not to shorten the thumb. I don't get it. 

I've had a serviceable pair I made a couple of years ago but now that I am trying to make a better pair, I can't do it. What's the secret when making the mitt from a single pattern?

14 minutes ago, late said:

Can't help you with sewing. I can tell you what I did. I got mountaineering mittens. Try a few on, see what you like.

https://www.rei.com/product/889271/dakine-titan-insulated-mittens-mens

The advantage I am trying to create is a very roomy chamber for your fingers, splayed fingers. Normal mittens don't allow that. The ultra light shell is windproof and very flexible so you can manipulate shifters and break levers easily. I can wear gloves and/or wool mittens inside the shell. 

19 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The advantage I am trying to create is a very roomy chamber for your fingers, splayed fingers. Normal mittens don't allow that. The ultra light shell is windproof and very flexible so you can manipulate shifters and break levers easily. I can wear gloves and/or wool mittens inside the shell. 

These are not normal mittens. Ice climbers need some dexterity. They will usually be waterproof, well insulated, with a cuff that extends well past your wrist.

They get the job done.

• Heart 1

I can't help here even though I used to sew with patterns. I never drafted patterns from scratch because it is a skill....even for something as simple as skirt. 

Not sure there is something here:  https://www.seattlefabrics.com/DK-Sport_c_100.html

I was impressed by their outdoor apparel designs and other related outdoor which requires some hardware accessories. 

Hope you get the mitten right....proper dexterity to brake on bike is important.

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, donkpow said:

I've had a serviceable pair I made a couple of years ago but now that I am trying to make a better pair, I can't do it. What's the secret when making the mitt from a single pattern? 

I wear the same mittens I wear skiing.  A relatively cheap Carhartt mitten is fantastic.  If you buy a pair that is a little roomy, you can also wear a liner for more warmth or add a hand warmer in there. $20 is worth it. I think a lobster glove is unnecessary for me.

image.thumb.png.027a67bdafada0917554e33ab844b5d6.png

• Heart 1