final mile totals for '18

bikeman564™

I had a good year with many more riding days than previous years but if I ever tracked miles I'd think total miles would be down or similar.  I rode the mtn bike much more than in years past and the rides tended to be shorter but more difficult than road rides.

• Heart 2

So, on the road bike plus some on various other bikes where I bothered to record the rides:

image.png.2268743c9fce4680cc7b72e26cede160.png

Add in somewhere in the 750 mile range for commuting (might be higher) and some grocery run sort of rides, and I pop over 4k for the year.  What I like about the road bike numbers, and which I would like to improve is the Elev Gain of over 100,000' and just breaking 100 road rides :D So, about 500 more road bike miles than 2017 and 18k more feet of climbing in almost the same amount of rides.  I call that a good trend.

image.png.d884da5a04b3b0b4cf09f0b547a9e270.png 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I forgot to mention the 2018 was the WETTEST year on record for my area.  So many opportunities to ride - especially in the shoulder season where they would be wet & cold rides - were missed :(  I hope this new year has plenty of rain, but that it falls during non-ride times :D

• Heart 1

I just went through my Strava for 2018 and it's only showing about 170 miles... I had it in my head that I was well over 300, but I can't imagine I rode that many miles without Strava running...

Still, 170 or 370, doesn't really matter - far below my goal.  Yes, the weather didn't cooperate for much of the year, but there were probably as many days when I was so run down after a week of work that I felt I needed to rest.  And yes, there were lots of days that I spent with the kids instead.  Well, I guess I'm in no way ashamed of that.  

but I miss those hours-long rides..... that stuff is really good for my health - physical, mental and spiritual.  

I just rode 7 miles on New Year's Day 2019 - it occurs to me that I didn't even average 7 miles a week for the entire year of 2018.  

• Heart 1