Is your area going to be hit by a massive earthquake soon?

Randomguy

Just now, Dottles said:

Seattle is targeted for the 'BIG ONE' sometime this century.  And by BIG ONE they think something over 9.  Earthquakes can be extremely dangerous at 5+.

I lived through 3 of them when I resided in CA, but not huge ones.  9.0 would be a monster, would your house survive?

I don't know. I'm outside the city 35 miles to the north.  I'm not sure if that big one is the Cascadia fault line 200 miles off the coast or the Seattle fault line.  Either way, I'm pretty sure we get rattled.  Let me dig up what they are predicting.

Yeah, I lived through the Nisqually quake which had an epicenter about 35 miles south of Seattle. It was 6+.

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I don't know. I'm outside the city 35 miles to the north.  I'm not sure if that big one is the Cascadia fault line 200 miles off the coast or the Seattle fault line.  Either way, I'm pretty sure we get rattled.  Let me dig up what they are predicting.

Yeah, I lived through the Nisqually quake which had an epicenter about 35 miles south of Seattle. It was 6+.

What if the earthquake and a sharknado occurred simultaneously?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I lived through 3 of them when I resided in CA, but not huge ones.  9.0 would be a monster, would your house survive?

Has there ever been a 9 anywhere ever?  I don't think any structure would still be standing with a earthquake that large.  The thing people may not realize is that it's an exponential increase. The difference between a 3 - 4is much less than that of a 8 - 9

A 9 would devastate the city if it hit near it.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Has there ever been a 9 anywhere ever?  I don't think any structure would still be standing with a earthquake that large.  The thing people may not realize is that it's an exponential increase. The difference between a 3 - 4is much less than that of a 8 - 9

How does the sharknado rating system work?

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Alaska.

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It was weird, and interesting.

It was my first one and this is an apt description.  At first it was rumbling up and down -- I was in a one floor building built upon stilts on a hill and we immediately exited to the parking lot. Then it settled into horizontal shifting.  It was like we were standing on snow skis traversing moguls. And then it settled and stopped.

We're usually safe in the Mid-Atlantic, but the first earthquakes in centuries have been occurring after fracking began in Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc.

We had one strong enough that I walked around my house and basement looking for structural damage.  I didn't find any but rain makes its way through some cracks in the basement cinderblocks now.

Hopefully, we won't get a big one until we ignore Global Warming long enough that earthquakes are the last thing we'll be worrying about.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

We're usually safe in the Mid-Atlantic, but the first earthquakes in centuries have been occurring after fracking began in Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc.

We had one strong enough that I walked around my house and basement looking for structural damage.  I didn't find any but rain makes its way through some cracks in the basement cinderblocks now.

Hopefully, we won't get a big one until we ignore Global Warming long enough that earthquakes are the last thing we'll be worrying about.

It's easy for me to say this because I didn't bring any children into the world, but we'll be dead when the really bad chit hits.