If children drank hard liquor...

Randomguy

Speaking of untapped markets, I once lectured to my chemistry students that a speaker at a meeting of the Maryland branch of the American Chemical Society in the 1970's was from a jewelry company and said 1/2 of the market was untapped: men.  I told my students that back then, jewelry on men was rare and father's said their sons would never wear it.

Then I'd point around the room at the many teenage boys wearing jewelry in the 90's and 00's.  They thought the anti-men's-jewelry was backward thinking.

Then I told them we had another guest speaker from Revlon who said that half the market for makeup was untapped: that they were aiming at men.  When I told the teens that their kids might be wearing makeup just like their generation's males were wearing jewelry they got upset. "Not my kid!" etc.  Then I'd ask, don't you think that's what your parents said about their sons wearing jewelry?  Then, I'd tell them about the episode of Home Improvement where Brad, Tim Taylor's oldest son, was taught to use makeup to hide a zit and soon a bunch of his male friends were being taught to use it.  I'd say, "I wonder if Revlon paid them to include that in an episode."  Then I'd mention some male rock stars.  The kids were deathly quiet for the rest of the class!

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I thought all the flavoured beers were for children?  Who else would add berries to beer? 

I went to a bar with my first NYC gf, and this bar had something called a 'sweet ho' (it also might have been called a 'dirty ho').  I told her I don't care what it is, I am going to order one, you want one?  She said "sure".  She was like that, you see, pretty cool and up for anything.

I brought then back to the table and we tried them, and loved them!  They were 4 parts Hoegaarden to one part framboise.  We used to make our own every couple of weeks, they are especially nice in the summertime.

Best beer I ever had was Augistiner brau. Brewed by Augistinian monks in a cellar in Salzburg. Anyway, I was enjoying my beer and this old guy joined me. He had his grandkid with him, and I think he wanted him to meet an American. This is 73. The kid had a small mug of his own, and was rather vocal about Gramps not getting him a second mug. Wine diluted 50/50 with water, kinderwein, is common.