Are their expressions..

Wilbur

Many medical expressions frustrate the living shit out of me.  Maybe expressions is not the best word, just people that try to bullshit me.  People that think that they are smarter than their physicians.  I realize that there may be some people that are pretty dang educated about THEY'RE own health, but for the most part people are idiots.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

My 98 year-old Aunt Sally can't stand "I haven't got a c;lue."

I don't know why and she's at the age where her mind is fairly clear most of the time, but she won't waste time explaining why she doesn't like it.

So I don't ask and I don't say it.

Personally, I dislike changed meanings like score and hack in "I scored a bargain," and "a hack that gives you information..." - usually meaning a legal app!

A score used to mean you achieved points against an opponent in a game. A hack used to mean an illegal intrusion into a computer app.

In my hippie generation, guys and girls commonly used fxxk and other curses in friendly company that were not used between sexes in previous generations. We guys generally did not speak that way to older or younger generations - except among guys. I don't know if that is still the norm.  I told our 19 year-old college coed during a family Christmas party that everyone else was eating up the good desserts in another room while we were watching TV.  The reply was, "Fxxk that!"  I didn't mind - she was including me in her comfortable circle of friends, but I don't think I would make a comment like that to her.

4 minutes ago, Further said:

That bugs me too.

Yes, it is what is, it's a cluster fuck, now what are we going to do about it ? Moran.

My old boss said that. Annoying as hell. 

I hate it when non aussies say no worries, also “my bad” is annoying 

38 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It is what it is  

I actually like this, having had to deal with people who have unreasonable expectations. It tells them that reality is real.  “It is what it is, so stop it already” is an incredibly useful thing to say  

RO watches a cartoon where the little girl character often says “you get what you get, and you don’t get upset”.  I like this. 

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I actually like this, having had to deal with people who have unreasonable expectations. It tells them that reality is real.

RO watches a cartoon where the little girl character often says “you get what you get, and you don’t get upset”.  I like this. 

I’ve always heard “you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit”

14 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I like both the phrase and concept of "pay it forward". 

I don't like the phrase because it's owing something to someone.   Really it should be another phrase where the person thinks of giving back....voluntarily as positive gesture.  I personally have never used it.  And never plan to.  It smacks of corporate/work=related language...which by now, I don't want to hear slang phrases borrowed from the working world.

Shall I say:  I pay forward to my parents because of the years of love and money spent on me?  How about I just give back to my parents because I wouldn't exist without them.  The word "giving back" has a much more expansive meaning and doesn't entail "money" or money spent.  Giving can suggest caring, empathy, etc.

However each person's interpretation of language , words will vary depending on person's perception of words.  

On 1/4/2019 at 11:37 PM, shootingstar said:

I don't like the phrase because it's owing something to someone.

I think you are misunderstanding the concept. "Pay it forward" would be for you to use the generosity of your parents years of love as a guide to pay it forward to SOMEONE else - maybe a niece or a student or a foster kid.  In other words, you don't owe the "giver" of the original favor anything other than to be a "giver" - to someone else - in the future.  Using "pay" might be the sticking point making it sound negative?

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think you are misunderstanding the concept. "Pay it forward" would be for you to use the generosity of your parents years of love as a guide to pay it forward to SOMEONE else - maybe a niece or a student or a foster kid.  In other words, you don't owe the "giver" of the original favor anything other than to be a "giver" - to someone else - in the future.  Using "pay" might be the sticking point making it sound negative?

Yea, I hate the use of "pay" in idioms.  I wouldn't try it on range of people.....one is bound to be misunderstood. We are now dealing with people from all sorts of backgrounds and walks of life.  I would never use if I was working as a public servant on a member of the public.  No way.

Understand, Razor, I love language, use of language. I used read William Safire's articles on interesting word use in the English language. I love etymology. I used to simply like to browse through Roget's thesaurus...to inspire myself for a poem I was writing.  I enjoy fun with language and its creative use under the right circumstances. But using that idiom on general strangers and even good friends, family, no.  It would sound unnatural from me.

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Yea, I hate the use of "pay" in idioms.  I wouldn't try it on range of people.....one is bound to be misunderstood. We are now dealing with people from all sorts of backgrounds and walks of life.  I would never use if I was working as a public servant on a member of the public.  No way. 

"Share it forward" :D

There is a NYC phrasing that I hate, absolutely despise.  You will hear cashiers or some others sometimes say "Next on line" or something similar.  Uh, if I am "online", then I am on a computer.   That means that unless there is physically a line painted on the ground I could conceivably be standing on, I am in a line.

• Heart 1